Chapter 2: Researching

Did he just tell me he doesn't bite? For a millisecond, I pictured him biting my lip and instantly started to shake my head. He was not an evolved man. They wouldn't try to flirt, not like that... And why did I think he was trying to flirt with me if I saw him crying a few minutes ago? That didn't make much sense.

"Aha, sure." I sat on his bed, and he showed his half-smile again as moving the chair once more so he'd face me.

"So, no more tests?"

"No, don't worry. I'll talk to them to get you out of here as soon as I can."

He didn't seem relieved as I expected. Instead, he frowned and looked at the floor.

"Nobody has come looking for me. That means I don't have anyone... nor somewhere to go. I don't know what happened; I can't remember anything about that. However, I do remember some other things... Everything is so confusing."

"Then that's why...?" I pointed to my cheek, trying to remind him of the tear. However, I quickly hid my hand, feeling repentant. That was not my business.

He let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

"You saw me, didn't you?" He laid his face on his arms, resting on the back of the chair. He remained silent for a couple of seconds. "Yes, it was... not knowing where my family is..." His deep green eyes were full of helplessness.

"I understand. My parents are gone too."

"I'm sorry."

"No, it was... I already got over it. It..." It was difficult for me to articulate the words. All that tension had returned to me. "Evolved Humans did it... I hate them so much."

I looked up, and he was staring at me. He got up slowly, put the chair aside, and approached me. I realized a couple of tears had emerged from my eyes and threatened to fall down my cheeks. I wiped them, ashamed because I had revealed a side of me that I had never shown to anyone, and I barely knew him. But it was too late to step back. Also, I was sensible because of the loss of my house—so many memories.

"So... what happened?" He sat on the bed, keeping his distance.

"My parents were fascinated with those special humans. They didn't support the idea of trying to tie them up and do experiments on them. They believed they could appeal to their human side. They didn't think Evolved Humans had lost their compassion due to their nature or... well, as I said, they believed that but..." Again, the lump in my throat made it difficult to speak. "There was an attack, and the beings under their custody took advantage of the distraction to kill them... Anyway, the EH that attacked planned to rescue those who were prisoners." I took a deep breath; there were no more tears. I stood up, and he followed me. "Sorry, you didn't have to hear that..."

"No, it's fine. You should sometimes get that off your chest." He placed his hand on my shoulder, trying to cheer me up.

"I haven't told this to anybody... besides Marcus."

"Your possessive friend?" 

I looked at him in surprise, and he smiled. The boy had a beautiful, attractive smile, and I couldn't help smiling at him too. Then, I shook my head in denial.

"He just worries about me. He's been my friend since college."

"Friendzone."

I laughed.

"No, I haven't thought about those things," I said but instantly cleared my throat. I shouldn't be laughing. "That will come by itself."

I had never thought like that. I didn't have time to think about love. Right now, I felt like a bitter, older woman.