Chapter 3

Whispersong stepped inside the cave, Bumblefrost beside her. The patrol followed Moth and Leaf to the Tribe's fresh-kill pile and dropped their catches on top. A few of the kits goggled at the large eagle that Moth, Leaf, and Star were carrying, their eyes round as moons.

"Look at it!"

"It's huge!"

"I want to eat it now!"

Whispersong turned to Bumblefrost, and they shared a glance of amusement.

Echoheart padded up to them. "Should we speak with Stoneteller? About the wolves?"

"Wolves?" Bumblefrost asked in confusion. "What about them?"

"Echoheart thought that they might be the danger in our vision," Whispersong told him.

"And how would Stoneteller know?" Bumblefrost asked.

Whispersong looked at Echoheart, who narrowed her eyes in confusion. "I don't know," Echoheart murmured. "Maybe we should think about it more, and get more information, before we ask Stoneteller about it."

Whispersong nodded. "Yes, good idea."

Bumblefrost glanced across the cave. "Let's ask if we can have a share of prey. I'm starving."

The three forest cats padded across the cave, stepping around a tussling group of kits. Once they reached the back of the cave where the entrance to the Tribe's leader's den was, the three peered inside.

"Stoneteller?" Bumblefrost called out cautiously.

Within heartbeats, the dark brown tabby tom stepped out of his cave, his dark yellow eyes full of concern. "Is something wrong?"

Ecoheart shook her head. "No, we were just wondering if we could take a share of the prey."

Stoneteller smiled. "Of course. While you're here, you may take your share any time, provided there's enough for the kit-mothers and their kits."

"Of course." Whispersong dipped her head. "Back home, queens and kits must be fed first before warriors eat. So we'd do the same here."

Stoneteller nodded. "You did hunt today. How did it go?"

Bumblefrost meowed, "Pretty good. Your Tribe is organized very well when it comes to hunting." Whispersong knew he was thinking of how Moth, Star, and Leaf knew to wait and let the smaller prey attract the eagle.

Maybe DayClan could try that, Whispersong thought. They do have hawks and eagles every now and then out on the moorlands.

Stoneteller dipped his head slightly. "Thank you... is it Bumblefrost?"

The DayClan warrior nodded.

Stoneteller let out a breath of amusement. "I can see why you were named that. Your stripes resemble a bumblebee."

Bumblefrost smiled slightly, flicking his tail.

Stoneteller dipped his head to the three of them, then lead them to the fresh-kill pile. The Tribe leader grabbed a hare and walked over to Screech, the brown tom they'd seen earlier talking to the two black and gray kits, who now sat with their mother across the cave.

Whispersong watched as each Tribe cat grabbed a piece of prey took it to a Tribemate, and together, they shared a meal. Whispersong turned and saw Bumblefrost walking up to her, his kestrel in his jaws. He dropped it at her feet. Warmth shone in his pale green eyes as he asked, "Do you want to share?"

Whispersong smiled. "Sure."

The two settled down and dug into the bird. Whispersong licked her lips as the strong taste of the kestrel filled her mouth.