Chapter 4

Hailstorm watched the moon rising above his head as Eveningstar called a Clan meeting. Cats crept out of their dens, grief and weariness dragging them down. Raypaw sat quietly beside Bronzepelt with dull eyes. Sunfur, Sparrowtail, and Eaglefeather silently joined Meadowheart and Prairiefoot. Clovertail and Yellowpaw settled down beside Hailstorm, and Rustypelt and Sparktail joined him on his other side. 

Eveningstar sat on top of the High-stone, anguish in his brown eyes. "Thank you for joining me," he meowed, bowing his head. "DawnClan needs a new deputy, and now, before moonhigh, I must appoint one."

Hailstorm looked sideways at Yellowpaw, who was staring at Goldheart. Would Eveningstar choose Sunfur, like Yellowpaw's dream had hinted?

Eveningstar sighed, then looked over the Clan.  "Twigfoot will be mourned for moons on end; he was strong and courageous. He fought hard to protect his Clan, every day, until his very last breath. He was a deputy to be proud of." Hailstorm felt his eyes mist. He stared at his paws as he listened to the Clan leader continue. "But DawnClan must have a new deputy. So, I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirit of Twigfoot and our warrior ancestors may hear and approve my choice." Eveningstar raised his head to the sky, staring at the appearing stars.

One of those is Twigfoot, Hailstorm thought.

Eveningstar looked at the Clan again as he announced, "The new deputy of DawnClan will be Sunfur."

Every cat turned to look at the orange-brown warrior. Her limbs were frozen in shock, and she stared at Eveningstar with wide eyes. "Me?" she gasped.

Eveningstar nodded, a faint smile twitching the corners of his mouth.

Sunfur stared around in surprise, then she got to her paws and slowly padded up to the High-stone. She leapt up beside Eveningstar, then turned to face the Clan. "I... I know I can never replace Twigfoot... but I'll try and do my best to serve DawnClan like he did."

Sparrowtail and Eaglefeather stood up. "Sunfur! Sunfur!" they cheered.

Meadowheart, Prairiefoot, and Creekfall joined in next. Aspenleaf and her kits chanted beside them, and Rustypelt, Sparktail, Twilightfoot, Copperleaf, and Spruceclaw stood on their feet and shouted out the new deputy's name the loudest.

Hailstorm raised his head toward the High-stone and called out the new deputy's name. Though the loss of Twigfoot still clawed at his heart, he knew that life would go on, as life always did. Sunfur would help Eveningstar in leading DawnClan in the days ahead, and Twigfoot was now safe in StarClan's hunting grounds, watching over his Clan there.

Hailstorm stared around the clearing. The whole Clan called Sunfur's name, all except Moonshine, who was staring blankly at Twigfoot's body. Her pale green eyes were narrowed and her white, silver-flecked fur was bristled. What was going through her mind?

Hailstorm shuddered. He'd never seen his mother like this.

"Wait; the meeting isn't over."

Hailstorm turned his head back to Eveningstar in surprise as he spoke again. Sunfur jumped down from the High-stone, joining Sparrowtail and Eaglefeather once more. Cats who had started to disperse back into the clearing stopped at Evningstar's words and sat back down.

Eveningstar dipped his head to his new deputy, then spoke again. "Twilightfoot has a request. He and I have discussed it, and he believes it's what's best for himself, and the Clan."

Every cat turned to look at the black pelt of Twilightfoot, whose white chest and paws were glowing in the fading light. He raised his head toward Eveningstar, ignoring the confused stares from his Clanmates.