Chapter 14

Hailstorm jerked awake, sweating and breathing heavily. The nightmare echoed in his mind ominously like rumbling thunder. He let out a ragged breath, then laid his head down on his moss nest again with a sigh.

He'd dreamt he was back in the previous battle with DayClan, where Twigfoot had— Hailstorm cut off this thought immediately and closed his eyes. He couldn't think about that now, not when they were so close to having another battle with DayClan. Hailstorm opened his eyes again and glanced around, noticing that he wasn't the only one awake; hardly any cat was sleeping in fear of what the coming morning would bring. Hailstorm turned toward the entrance of the warriors' den and, through the thick branches and silhouettes of cats lying around him, he saw the sky, gray with the very early signs of dawn.

Hailstorm's heart skipped a beat, and he let out a nervous, shaky breath. Dawn was arriving, which meant the battle couldn't be that far off. Hailstorm shuddered; he felt worse than he had before the last battle. Now that he'd had all night to worry, Hailstorm realized just how scared he was. Were any DawnClan cats going to die today? Hailstorm shivered and turned to look at his restless Clanmates. Would this be the last night he'd sleep in this den? Hailstorm felt his stomach clench in fear, and a lump formed in his throat. His heart thrummed irregularly in his chest, threatening to burst with terror.

Suddenly there was a commotion outside in the camp. Every cat in the den turned. A silhouette appeared against the gray sky for a moment, then it padded out of sight. Hailstorm could just make out a voice, whispering in the dark, "...NightClan agreed... coming... ran ahead... tell you..." It was Spruceclaw.

"Thank you... good... sunhigh..." That was Eveningstar speaking.

Hailstorm turned back towards the inside of the den as Rustypelt, Sunfur, and Sparktail got to their paws around him. Soon every cat was getting up and exiting the den, so Hailstorm forced his trembling legs to stand, then he followed the other warriors into the warm, early- morning air.

The first cats Hailstorm saw were Eveningstar and Spruceclaw, who looked out of breath; he must have run ahead to tell Eveningstar that NightClan was on its way.

"How many cats did Beechstar bring?" Eveningstar asked.

"More than a normal battle patrol; I think they still want to avenge their Clanmates who died against DayClan at the last battle; they were really eager to join us."

Eveningstar nodded. "Good. Thank you, Spruceclaw. You may rest in the time we have left now."

Spruceclaw dipped his head and padded tiredly over to the elders' den.

Eveningstar turned his head and saw all of the warriors who had emerged from the warriors' den. He sighed. "You should eat. You all need your strength."

Every cat nodded distantly and walked trance-like over to the old, moss-covered fresh-kill log. Hailstorm grabbed a small mouse and sat down. He took a bite, hardly tasting it.

He glanced around him. Needlekit, Rosekit, and Pinekit were watching the warriors with longing, and Rayclaw sat near them, far away from all the warriors, with Stormpaw crouching fearfully beside him. Hailstorm blinked in surprise. He had forgotten that the DayClan apprentice was here.

Hailstorm tore his attention away from Stormpaw as he smelled a new scent on the warm breeze. He turned his head, as did every other warrior around him. He sniffed the air. NightClan.

Eveningstar must have scented it too, for he stepped toward the camp entrance. He dipped his head at the cream-furred tom at the head of the patrol. "Hello, Beechstar, how are you?"

The NightClan leader stepped further inside the camp entrance with a large group of cats, all wary-eyed and tense, close behind him. Copperleaf, Moonshine, and the rest of Spruceclaw's patrol were behind them.