Chapter 16

A soft, rosy glow illuminated the sky in the early morning sunrise. The pale sunlight peeked over the jagged gray horizon and simmered on the few dew-strewn blades of grass dotting the mountain landscape.

Echoheart watched as Whispersong and Bumblefrost emerge from the Cave of Rushing Water, squinting against the waterfall's mist and the bright sunlight. Echoheart blinked as Star emerged a few heartbeats later, silver pelt glowing orange. She held her head high, but her one blue and one green eye brimmed with worry and sadness.

Echoheart stared at the small mountain cat. It must be really hard to leave behind everything she's ever known to live a completely new life. She doesn't even have anyone there for her that truly understands; her ancestors probably won't follow her, StarClan may not guide and protect her, and the Clan cats may not approve of her when we get home. At least when Whispersong, Bumblefrost, and I left, we had each other and our faith in StarClan as hope of returning... Star has nothing.  Echoheart sighed. But Whispersong and I will be there for her. We'll help her learn the ways of the warrior code, and maybe StarClan will see her worth as a Clan cat, and they'll protect her just like any other Clan cat, and guide her as she searches for her destiny with the Clans.

"So... are... are we ready?" Star asked quietly, her voice faltering.

Echoheart pushed her thoughts away and nodded. "I think so."

Even though pity engulfed Echoheart's heart at Star's sadness, excitement was sparking inside her. After nearly two and a half moons, they were finally heading home!

Echoheart turned around as Stoneteller appeared from behind the waterfall. The large brown tabby tom never left the cave, but this was a special occasion; he was coming to see off one of his Tribemates as she left them forever.

"Star," the Tribe leader sighed, "And you too, Echoheart, Whispersong, and Bumblefrost: good luck. The heartfelt wishes of the Tribe go with you. May our ancestors watch over you, whether they be the Tribe of Endless Hunting or your StarClan, on your path home." Stoneteller paused, then he turned to Star and sighed. "Star that Shines Bright, I want you to remember something: although your path in life won't always be easy, may yours never be broken by hardship. Never lose sight of what's at the end of it, even if you feel like turning back. The path may get steep and hard and painful, but in the end, it will lead you to where you were meant to go. So have faith, Star."

Star let out an unsteady breath and nodded tearfully at the brown tom. She sniffled. "I'll miss you all." She looked at Stoneteller with sadness. "But I have to go. I feel a calling in my heart, and I... I must answer it."

Stoneteller nodded in understanding. "The right choices are often the hardest ones. But whatever path you choose to follow, have hope, listen to your heart, and remember that no matter how dark the nights may get, the sun will always rise. Have courage, Star that Shines Bright. Have courage, and you will find home." Then Stoneteller bent forward and rested his muzzle gently on top of Star's head.

Star blinked away tears and licked her Healer's shoulder. She sniffled, turned away from the Cave, and took a deep breath.

Echoheart glanced at Star, then Bumblefrost, then Whispersong. Then she turned her gaze to Stoneteller. She dipped her head graciously, not able to form the words at how grateful she was for the Tribe's help.

Stoneteller blinked, yellow eyes glistening with a thousand emotions. "Good luck, and may the sky light your paths, both on your journey home and when the time comes to face that bear."

Echoheart shuddered but nodded gratefully at Stoneteller's encouragement. She sighed, turned, and began walking down the mountainside along the river, with Whispersong and Bumblefrost behind her. Star soon followed, and Echoheart could feel the young cat's pain and sadness. Her pawsteps were heavy, but she kept her head high and looked ahead with courage.

Echoheart took a deep breath, glancing over her shoulder. Stoneteller was slowly getting smaller, as was the Cave and the waterfall. Echoheart tore her gaze away and looked ahead at the rising sun, bathing the four cats in its light and warmth.

The long journey loomed ahead, but at the end was DawnClan. At the end was Hailstorm, Sparktail, Rustypelt, and everyone else they missed so much.

At the end was home.