Chapter 12

Hailstorm paced the clearing anxiously. The green-leaf sun blazed high in the cloudless blue sky, making him pant under its increasing heat.

Earlier this morning, Eveningstar had taken Rustypelt, Sparrowtail, and Meadowheart to DuskClan's camp, and Sunfur had taken Gravelpelt, Eaglefeather, and Sparktail to NightClan's camp, to discuss DayClan and the stolen kits.

Personally, Hailstorm didn't know what good it did, just talking. What could they do by talking? So what? DayClan still had the kits. Hailstorm grunted angrily. It'd been three sunrises since Cherrykit and Lilackit had been kidnapped. Were they even getting any food? Any water?

Hailstorm stopped pacing and let out a ragged breath.

They must be scared to death.

Hailstorm lashed his tail furiously. Exactly how many kits had DayClan stolen from the other Clans? And what did Rainstar plan on doing with them? Hailstorm cursed under his breath, resuming his pacing of the camp.

He was vaguely aware of Yellowflower watching him by her den, looking sympathetic. Hailstorm narrowed his eyes and snorted. Why was she feeling sympathetic for him ? She should be sympathetic for Sagetail and Bronzepelt, whose kits had been stolen! Or even sympathetic for Rayclaw, who had felt very guilty about not noticing the DayClan scent during his vigil. But Rayclaw didn't seem as worried as his parents anymore, which Hailstorm found quite odd. He'd said something yesterday about knowing what he had to do. What had Rayclaw meant when he'd said that? Surely if any cat knew what to do it would be the leader or the medicine cats; not a young, inexperienced warrior!

Hailstorm paced faster.

But Eveningstar, Goldheart, and Yellowflower hadn't known what to do; they hadn't received any signs from StarClan. Nothing! And even if one of them had, they hadn't mentioned it to the Clan.

Well, Hailstorm thought, Goldheart and Yellowflower did try and ask DayClan's medicine cats about the kits. But it had been pointless anyway, since Lilyfoot and Fernpaw hadn't been at the last trip to the Moonfall.

Hailstorm let out a long sigh. He shook his head in anger at DayClan, and his claws tore at the grass and dirt beneath his paws.

Suddenly he caught a whiff of cat-scent on the air. Hailstorm jerked his head up. He sniffed the air again. The patrols that had gone to talk to NightClan and DuskClan were coming back! Already? Hailstorm thought in confusion. They'd only left this morning! How could they already be back? He jogged walked toward the bramble entrance in curiosity and confusion as the two patrols stormed into the camp with tails lashing, fur on edge, and flanks heaving in what appeared to be anger, not exhaustion. Hailstorm blinked in worry.

"What happened?" Goldheart asked worriedly, jogging forward from the group of cats huddled around the patrols.

Eveningstar was breathing heavily. "We didn't get into NightClan or  DuskClan territory."

"Why not?" Sagetail asked, a worried edge to her voice.

"DayClan," Rustypelt growled.

Every cat in the clearing let out a gasp.

"DayClan ?" Aspenleaf echoed in disbelief.

Sunfur nodded next to Eveningstar, tail flicking angrily. "We met a DayClan patrol on the border: Bristlepine, Clayfur, and Hawktuft."

At once, the clearing was filled with angry outbursts.

Eveningstar raised his tail for silence, but looked just as angry as the rest of the Clan.