Chapter 9

"Gone?" Bronzepelt sputtered in shock. "What do you mean, gone?"

"I mean they're gone! They weren't in the den this morning, and their nest was cold!"

Rayclaw was shaking his head. "It's all my fault. I—"

Eveningstar cut the new warrior off. "Rayclaw, stop blaming yourself. Sagetail's kits have simply wandered off; we'll follow their scent-trail and bring them back."

"But there's dangers out there, that badger—"

"Rayclaw—" Eveningstar began quietly, but Rayclaw didn't seem to hear him.

"I should have noticed them leaving camp! If they're hurt I'll never forgive myself..."

Eveningstar turned to the gathered cats around him. "Goldheart," he addressed the medicine cat when he saw him walking out from his den with Yellowpaw behind him. "Take Sagetail and Rayclaw away and calm them down. Bronzepelt, go with them."

Bronzepelt whipped around. "I could lead a search party! I could—"

"We need you here at camp," Eveningstar told him firmly. "Reassure your mate and son that the kits will be alright. We'll find them."

Bronzepelt opened his mouth to protest, but thought better of it and followed Goldheart, Yellowpaw, Rayclaw, and Sagetail with his head bowed.

"I will lead the search party," Eveningstar meowed. "Creekfall, Hailstorm, Gravelpelt, and Sparktail, you will come with me."

Hailstorm widened his eyes then nodded, surprised at being chosen.

"Sunfur," Eveningstar continued, turning to the deputy. "Stay here and look after the camp. If something by chance took the kits, it might be back. I need you on guard."

"Yes, Eveningstar," Sunfur meowed, dipping her head and looking concerned.

"It's possible that they did leave the camp during the night," Eveningstar meowed. "We'll have to track them to be sure though. Hailstorm, I know how good you are at tracking. You found Echoheart and Whispersong's trail, and you can find Cherrykit and Lilackit's. Take the lead."

Hailstorm blinked in surprise, then nodded, sniffing by the camp's entrance. When he found no scent-trail, he headed up the hill that lead to the cliff on the backside of the camp. Maybe they came back here. Hailstorm lowered his nose to the ground, smelling older scents: Eaglefeather, Meadowheart, Rustypelt,...

Hailstorm shook his head. None of the scents were Sagetail's kits'. His nose brushed the grass and ferns as he moved forward, but he found nothing. No kit-scent. Well at least they didn't fall off the ledge, he thought in relief, realizing that if they had, they would have broken something for sure, or died. Hailstorm shook the thought away.

"Hey! I think I found their trail!"

Hailstorm turned as Creekfall called out. He ran down the slope to the pale silver tom, who was wrinkling his nose in disgust. His fur was on edge, and his tail was lashing.

"What—" Hailstorm started, but before he finished his question, he smelled what had made Creekfall's pelt bristle. A low growl rumbled in his throat and his claws tore at the ground.

"What did you find?" Sparktail asked, jogging toward them, Eveningstar and Gravelpelt right behind her.

"I don't think the kits went exploring," Hailstorm spat.

Eveningstar let out a snarl. "DayClan."

"Come on. We have to follow the trail. We might find something," Gravelpelt muttered.