Two. [Tom Hiddleston Imagine]

|Reader's POV.|

Today, finally, was your birthday! You had been waiting for this day because today, you and your boyfriend of 8 months were going out on a date! You had know Tom for a while and finally, once you knew each other quite well, he asked you out! Eight months you had officially been together!

You stood in front of your bathroom mirror adjusting your hair. You were currently wearing the emerald green dress that stopped just above your knees. Wearing this dress, you felt absolutely beautiful, and like nothing could bring you down.

As you began to reach for the tube of mascara, your phone began to ring. Adjusting the course of your hands' movement, you reached for your phone instead. Caller ID; 'Tom <3'. You smiled and quickly answered it.

"Hello!" You said enthusiastically. You were excited after all.

"Hey, darling..." He said, with much less enthusiasm. You bit your lip, nervous for what he was going to say next. He explained how he was going to have to take a rain check on tonight's date. Something important came up for his latest movie and he had to attend. Ouch, this hurt.

"Oh, okay." You try to say casually.

"You sure? I'm really, sorry. I wish I could come, but I can't. Maybe another night?" He asked, you could hear in his voice that he felt bad.

"Okay...." You said softly. Moments later, after a few more apologies, you said your good-byes.

Slowly, you set your phone on the counter. This hurt, a lot. Not so much the fact that he canceled that date, but that fact that he didn't say 'happy birthday.' Did he forget? You hadn't said much about it coming up, you assumed he knew. Did he really not know?

Slowly, you got out of the dress, and hung it on a hanger. Quickly, you tucked it away in the closet of your bedroom. Pulling on a comfortable t-shirt and plaid flannel pants, you grabbed a blanket and went to the living room. On your way there, you got a spoon and a container of your favorite ice cream. After putting in a movie and sitting on the couch, you began to put spoonfuls into your mouth, hoping this would make things better. It didn't, not really.

Deep down, you hoped this was one of those romantic jokes where he'd show up any minute with a smile and flowers and say 'surprise!' But there was a seed of doubt, a large seed at that. Tom sounded to serious. Sighing, you curled up, with the ice cream, and watched the movie, continuing to feel awful about your self for the rest of the night.

|Tom's POV.|

I felt bad for canceling on our date, but I had to. This was important for my upcoming movie. I know it sounds a bit selfish, but what was I supposed to do?

Upon, arriving home at around 10:00 pm, I felt as if I had forgotten something. The moment I walked in the house I saw the flowers, red roses, I had planned to give to her. And then it clicked and my heart sank.

"{ y/n }'s birthday." I whispered to myself. 'Oh, no no no....' I thought to myself. This wasn't good. I had forgotten, about her birthday. How could I?! She had never forgotten me, yet, here I was, forgetting about her big day!

I ran out the door and back to my car. I didn't get the flowers because I just needed to get to her. To tell her I didn't mean to forget.

I hopped into my car and drove quickly to her flat. I parked sloppily and dashed out. I ran inside and up to the entrance. I got to the door and I caught my breath. I was a runner, yes, but the combination of moving quickly and the initial shock of forgetting left me at a slight loss for air.

As I quieted down, that's when I heard it. The dulled noise of crying behind the door, probably in the living room.

'Great job, Tom, look what you've done!' I though to myself. My hand slid to the doorknob and I turned it. It was surprisingly unlocked. Slowly, I opened the door and crept in. What I saw made me feel even worse. She was curled on the couch, tear stained face, and an empty container of ice cream on the coffee table, as 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' was on the television.

Slowly, I walked up to her and sat by her feet. I knew she knew I was here, but she chose not to acknowledge me. I placed a hand on her leg and her eyes darted to me and then looked back at the movie.

" { y/n } I'm so sorry..." I whispered. She didn't say anything. Tears welled in my eyes.

" { y/n }, please. Say something. You don't know how awful I feel. Not only for canceling....but for forgetting. Is there anyway you can forgive me?" I whispered, a tear fell. Now she looked at me.

"Why?" She said quietly. "Am I not that important? Am I so easily forgettable?" She asked softly, silent tears creeping down her face.

"I don't know why. You are very important to me. I could never forget you. But the worst part is, I did. And I resent myself for that. But please, is there anything I can do, to have you forgive me?" I asked, the tears increasing.

"Stay with me." She asked quietly. I knew what she meant, she didn't want to be alone on the eve of her birthday. What an awful feeling, and it was my fault.

I nodded and leaned over, to fit my lips onto hers. To my surprise, she didn't flinch away, rather, she wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me back . Did this mean she forgave me? Hopefully.

"I will make it up to you." I whispered through the kisses.

"I know." She whispered back.