Chapter 1

MONDAY

Only one week left until my birthday. I would be turning 18 years old, meaning I would be able to vote, buy lottery tickets, and sign myself out of school without parental consent.

And of course, the most important benefit of all of becoming legal - finding my mate.

They said that sometimes, you just knew. You just knew who your mate would end up being before the big day. It was an unexplainable, unfathomable feeling for those who had never experienced it, but it was a powerful one.

That's exactly how I felt when I laid my eyes on him.

'Him' referred to the Omega wolf who was a good acquaintance of mine. Liam and I had grown up together, as our parents were good friends. We met when he was a newborn pup, quickly befriended each other, and remained at each other's sides all throughout elementary school.

Our relationship changed when we entered high school. As our bodies began developing in line with our rankings, we fell into our own little dynamic.

I, an Alpha wolf, grew to become extremely protective of him. This was pretty predictable, given he was an Omega, and the drive to protect Omega wolves was powerful.

Liam, on the other hand, became even friendlier, if that were even possible for him. He brought me my favourite candies on exam days, listened to me when I was stressed, and was overall, just a positive ball of energy that could always make me feel better.

I sent Liam a quick text to let him know when I was due to arrive.

I'll be over in a few minutes. Just heading out right now.

He responded shortly after, while I was pulling on my coat.

Okay, can't wait to see you!

I headed over to his house this miserable Monday morning, ready to walk him to school. It was a tradition for us, ever since we were young pups, to enjoy each other's company as we headed to the hellhole.

"Good morning!" he beamed upon opening the door to greet me.

Liam was a short little thing, around the 5'6" range, with big doe eyes, fluffy brown hair, and a smile that could light up the darkest abyss.

"Hey, Liam," I smiled at him. "How are you doing today?"

"I should be asking you that," he said. "This marks the last week you'll be 17 years old!"

"I know," I said, rubbing my hands through my hair. "It's pretty crazy. I swear, it was only yesterday we were young pups."

"Right? You're going to be an adult. That's so cool!"

"I'm glad you're happy about it. I'm one step closer to death."

"Aw, don't be so pessimistic, Dylan. 18 is such a wonderful age." He patted my shoulder and smiled reassuringly.

"You're not wrong. I've been looking forward to celebrating my Lunar week ever since I was 10, and saw Tanner Leston on the reality show Lavish Lunar."

"Lunar week?" He tilted his head in confusion. "What is that?"

"The week before an Alpha's 18th birthday, it's considered to be their last week of childhood. They can go partying, or go on a vacation, or just reminisce on their memories. Depends on the wolf."

"That sounds fun," Liam said eagerly. "So, what are you going to do for your last week?"

I looked directly into his eyes. "I was hoping I could spend it with a good friend, actually."