Extra 1

"That one," he said triumphantly, pointing at the small, red ball of fur curled up on its bed.

I cringed internally as I looked at the hideous, hissing feline. What did Liam see in this creature? Everything in me wanted to turn around from this decision and never look back, but when I looked at Liam's loving expression, I knew he was hooked.

"This is the one you'd like to adopt, correct?" the clerk asked.

Liam turned to me with big, earnest eyes, and I admitted defeat. I sighed, and turning back to the clerk, I gave her my dreaded answer.

"...yes, this is the one." It physically pained my soul to say those words.

"That's great! There's still some final paperwork that needs to be worked out, and if you haven't already, I can help you pick out any equipment you might need. So, I'm going to need..."

I let her speak, all while nodding here and there. The only thing I could register in my mind was the idea of this furball invading my territory.

Liam, on the other hand, was absolutely glowing. "Yay! Thanks, Dyl, you're the best. Well, maybe second best behind the cat, but still amazing nonetheless."

Even though I knew he was joking, my eyes glowed at the idea of being surpassed by a cat.

"Well, if the cat's just going to replace me, then I'm just going to tell her we don't need it," I huffed, crossing my arms.

"Wait, don't! It was just a joke, Dyl. You're my number one. I promise!"

"Say it," I pouted. "Say that I'm the best."

Liam gave me a big grin. "Of course you're the best."

"That's darn right I am," I said, although I relaxed slightly.

"So, can my most favourite person in the world help me search for the right food for our new family member?"

"You mean our long-term visitor who doesn't pay rent," I corrected under my breath, but I reluctantly obliged for Liam's sake.

"The girl said that this brand is the best for cats," he said, lugging a bag nearly half his height off the shelf. "It's a mix of meat and fish."

I wrinkled my nose. "This smells terrible."

"Oh, come on! You always hunt animals and fish. It's basically the same thing. Just cat-ified. And in a bag."

"Still disgusting."

"This is coming from someone who ate a spider, so I wouldn't trust your judgement on what's classified as disgusting."

"It was one time!" I protested, but Liam shoved the bag into my hands and moved on to look at the cat toys.

"Hm, what about this squeaky mouse thing?" He picked up a stuffed mouse, and deciding it was an essential item, he shoved it into my hands. "Can you hold this for me?"

Before I could respond, Liam had rushed down the aisle. "Maybe we can get it this back, too! It has bells in it. Cats like bells, I think."

The toy found itself in my arms, and within a few moments, Mount Everest had materialized in my arms.

"I think we need a cart," I grunted, trying to balance the multitude of cat things.

"Hush, I'm trying to decide if the cat will like the blue or the green blanket."

I mentally face-palmed. "The cat will like anything you get it. Besides, don't those things just see shades?"

"They're really colourblind, but apparently they can distinguish between some colours," he said thoughtfully as he compared the two. "Heck, why not get both?"