Chapter 4

THURSDAY

"Marshall, what are you doing out of class!"

I winced at Coach Retainer's cutthroat voice. I was hoping I wouldn't have to run into her at all today, but unfortunately, the Moon Goddess decided I had to suffer with her presence. The short and stout woman stormed up to me, her hands on her hips, and gave me the nastiest expression she could muster.

"I was handing in the attendance," I told her, trying to stay as calm as possible.

"What attendance?" she barked.

"The attendance sheet. That every class has to hand in to the front office at the beginning of class."

She frowned. "Don't get smartass with me, young man! Are you using this as an excuse to skip class? If you are skipping class, at least be good at doing it!"

"I'm not skipping class. You can confirm that with my teacher. Have a good day, Coach Rodriguez."

"Wait! Come back! I'm not finished with you yet!" I rounded the corner before she could say anything further, and shook my head. The best way to deal with her jabbing was to just ignore her and walk away. Coach Reticulum left you alone once she lost your attention.

I sent a text to Liam, expressing my frustration.

Ran into Coach Refrigerator. I don't think I can survive this period.

A few moments later, he responded.

You're going to have to, I brought cookie cubes.

That immediately got my attention. Liam's baking was one of the best-testing things in the world, alongside hooved animals and waffles. His cookie cubes were especially delicious - they were soft, tender squares of cookies, prepared by baking cookie dough like a cake instead of flattening them out on a tray. On special occasions, or sometimes on random days, he'd bring some of his baking projects to school to share with everyone around him.

See, this was just one of the many thoughtful things Liam did for people around him. He genuinely enjoyed putting a smile on other's faces, and he did so by helping everyone out without expecting anything in return.

How could he be any more perfect?

How many? I asked him eagerly.

Enough. So don't die on me yet or else I'll have to eat them all by MYSELF.

I gasped. It would be cruel of me to force poor, little Liam to eat all those cookies he worked so hard to bake alone.

I live for your baking, I assured him. I'll be there to eat them, I promise.

My mood brightened considerably at the thought of food. All throughout the first, second, and third period, all I could think about was getting my hands on those cookies.

"Food," my stomach croaked weakly by the time third period rolled around.

"Shh!" I hissed, but my stomach ignored me and started to spasm loudly, causing a couple heads to swivel my way.

As soon as the bell rang, I had already dipped out of class, and was heading towards the cafeteria to where Liam was waiting for me. The smell of cookies wafted through my nose, torturing me. So close, yet so far.

I pushed through the cafeteria doors and followed the smell to where Liam was waiting.

"Cookies!" My mouth watered at the sight of them. The batches lay in their containers, untouched in all their glory. I almost cried just looking at them.