Women Are Distractions

Enjolras's POV

My hard glare burns a hole into the back of her head as I watch her leave. As soon as the door is closed, my men began laughing. That stupid, annoying woman! Making a fool out of me!

My thoughts are faded by the sounds of mockery from my friends.

"She sure got the best of you, Enj!" Shouted Courfeyrac, his dark curls bouncing along with his body as he chuckles on.

"Yeah, Enjolras. You got a little something on your face there, Mate." Grantaire says as he points to a spot on his own face. I lift my hand to my cheek to find jelly had stained itself onto me. A deep growl sound from me.

"Oh, go drink another bottle. That's it! This is exactly why I hate women!" Huffing up, I place my hands down on the desk with my head sunk low. She gives me more reason every day for my feelings of her species.

🎶

"I hate women." My fists slam against the desk, grabbing everyone's attention. "Than ever marry one of them, I'd rest in peace rather,
For wives are a boring lot and only give you bother." Sighing, I pinch the bridge between my nose in frustration. "Of course, I'm awfully glad that Father had to marry Mother, but I hate women!"

"Of all the types I've ever met within our sweet Parēē,
I hate most the ones who dare to stand between Patria and me!" I move to the window and watch as the brunette woman travels far away from here. "You may have won this round, but just wait, mon Chéri!"
Turning back to my men with a glare, I cross my arms and lean onto the window sill. "Oh, I hate women!"

🎶

With a huff, I sit back down to finish writing my speech. Yet my mind is only filled with the smile of that waitress. Ninette. I, immediately, shake her out of my head. This is exactly my point. Women are a distraction.

~~~~~~~~~

The next evening, I arrive to the cafe after my studies. Madame Houcheloup sees me and greets me, which I kindly return, before heading upstairs.

I open the door to find that girl sitting on top of the bar reading one of my speeches. I march up to her and snatch it away. "Just what do you think you are doing?"

She gives me a look with her brow perked up. "I was reading, obviously."

"This is none of your business. You will do well to remember your place." I snap as I place the papers back on my desk. I hear her soft foot steps behind me, making me roll my eyes.

"I came to make sure you eat, Monsieur." She says, setting a sandwich next to me on a plate. "You won't eat while writing, so you shall eat before you write."

"And since when have I become your problem?"

"Since you, clearly, are not capable of taking care of yourself." She says, while leaning on the window sill next to the desk.

"My well being is not one of your concern, Miss Bellerose." I sit at the desk as a way to dismiss this discussion, but she had yet to move. I spare a glance up at her, to find her grinning at me. My brow raises at her. "Any reason you are staring at me like a mad woman?"

"Have you always been this grumpy, Enjolras? I don't think this is just a revolutionary thing."

"I am not grumpy, I am annoyed. You, Miss Bellerose, are annoying me when I am trying to run a revolution!" I said in clear frustration. "There is a very good reason women are not allowed in here. Women are distractions. If not for your job here, and the fact of the other lads have become fond of you, I'd have you banned from this cafe."