Goodbye Amis

Ninette makes her way up the stairs, her heart racing and pulsing with a million different emotions. When she opens the door, she is immediately picked up into the embrace of her closest Ami, Combeferre. "Ninette! We thought you left already!"

Her giggles fill the air as he sets her down. "Without saying goodbye? Never." The room was silent besides the low whispers of her parents speaking with her brother in the corner. All eyes were on her.

🎶

She looks around at all her friends. It's a very good chance that she will never see them again. She will not leave without them knowing how much they meant to her.

She gives them a sad smile. "I'm limited...In my life, I'm limited. You can do all that a cannot do. Now, it's up to you." The Amis all gather around her for their last goodbyes. "I've heard it said, that people come into our lives for a reason. Bringing something we must learn. We are lead to those who help us most to grow if you let them and help them in return." She shakes her head. "Well, I don't know if I believe that's true, but I am who I am today because I knew you...."

Combeferre takes her hand with a soft smile. "Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes the sun." He gently gives her hand a kiss.

Joly and Lesgle embraced her into a hug.

L- "Like a stream that meets a boulder-"

J- "-halfway through the wood."

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better?" Grantaire says, walking over with a bottle in his hand. He places his hand on her shoulder and gives her a look of sincerity. "But because I knew..."

All the Ami men agree in unison. "Because we knew you, we have been changed for good." They exchange sad smiles and hug.

As they pull apart, she sees Musichetta, Eponine, and Gavroche. She makes her way over and is immediately embraced by the girls. Silent tears roll down the women's faces as they say a silent goodbye.

She kneels down in front of Gavroche. "It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime, so let me say before we part. So much of me is made by what I learned from you. You'll be with me, like a handprint on my heart."

He grins at the woman kneeling in front of him. "Now, whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine, by being my friend."

She pulls the boy in her arms and kisses his head. "Be safe Gavroche." She stands and looks around at her friends with her hand on Gavroche's shoulder.

Her eyes lock with piercing blue ones as the red wearing revolutionary approaches her with a box. "This is for you....from all of us. It has something from each of us so that you'll never forget us...." She reaches in and pulls out a photo of all of them together. Her father arranged this photo shortly after their training began. More tears welp into her eyes. Each item held a personal stamp of who it belonged to. "Perhaps one day you can tell your children about us." Enjolras realizedhow that sounded and quickly corrected himself. "...all of us."

Suddenly, her face goes from being touched with happiness into annoyance as she pulls out a bottle of wine. Immediately, her eyes snapped to Grantaire. "Oops! Must have dropped it in there!" He plucks it from her and chugs it down. "Thanks, love." He winks and she starts laughing through her tears. Soon everyone joins in.

She stood outside the carriage with her big brother. Her parents and Théodore were already inside, waiting. Though they didn't say anything, they knew what they would say. Jaque pulls his little sister into a big hug, knowing that this could be for the last time. "I'm so proud of you, little sister."

"As I am of you, big brother." Her sniffles sound quietly. "Please be safe...."

"Always am!" He grins, pulling away. "Go and be happy." He gently kisses her cheek, then helps her into the carriage. Jaque waves as the carriage leaves and heads to another part of France.

"Because I knew you....I have been changed for good." Enjolras says softly from the window as he watches the love of his life ride away.

🎶

👩‍💻I know it's short! However! My next chapter will be longer. I just wanted to give you guys something while you wait for it! Let me know your thoughts! 👩‍💻