Esmée

Enjolras's POV

December 1830

It has been months since my attempt to express my feelings to Ninette. Since then, I've been in one of my moods. Whenever I'm in a mood, then my men tend to not like me very well.

After our meeting at the cafe, I sent everyone home immediately to rest up for training the next day. My eyes never left Ninette's form as she made her way out of the room. I look around and, not to my surprise, the only one left is Grantaire. Drunk Bastard.

"Oi, Grantaire. You need to go home!" I commanded.

"And you need to tell Ninette how you actually feel." He sassed back, making me roll my eyes.

"I don't know what you are talking about. Now, please go home. We have to be at Bellerose Estate early tomorrow."

"You can't fool me, Enj. I know the only reason you let Ninette in the Amis is because you panicked before spilling your heart." He says pointing a knowing finger at me from around his bottle. "You panicked because of Esmée. I seen it in your eyes when you both came in for dinner that day."

"What do you know about it, you cheeky bastard? Grab another bottle and get out!" I snap at him, shoving another bottle in his chest.

He sighs and shakes his head. "I've known you since we were boys, Enjolras. The only other time I seen you look at someone the way you look at Ninette, was when you were with Esmée."

"I'm not listening to this." I try to move away, but to my annoyance, he grabs my arm.

"I know that night was hard for you. Hell, I watched my best friend turn into some statue because of it. But, Enjolras, Ninette is not Esmée. The sooner you figure that out. The sooner you will be happy. The only one standing in your way is you." With that, he took both bottles and left. Left me up here alone to my thoughts.

Have I really been unfair to compare Ninette to Esmée?

Every night, I see Esmée in my dreams. They start off sweet at first, but then a repeat of our last encounter starts. Making me have to relive that moment over and over again......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flashback 1829 No One's POV

The new revolution was starting to come together. Adrian Enjolras had gathered enough of his friends to create Les Amis de l'ABC. The leader was happy, but his happiness was only going to grow after tonight. Fore tonight he was going to ask his true love to marry him.

Enjolras held his mother's ring in between his thumb and index finger examining it. His heart raced when he thought of this ring being on Esmée's finger.

"Madame Enjolras." He says trying it on his tongue with a smile. He heard footsteps approaching and looked up to find his best friend Grantaire. Enjolras stands up quickly. "Finally, you're here. You are accompanying me to Esmée's home, yes?"

Grantaire chuckles and slaps his friend on the back. "Relax, Enj!" He takes a swig out of the bottle he is holding. "I'm right behind you."

Enjolras nods and they head over to his lover's home. The maid let them in and told Enjolras that Esmée was in her chambers.

With another pat of good luck, Enjolras makes his way upstairs to the room he was quite familiar with. The door was cracked open and he heard her giggles from the other side.

He was about to knock when he heard a male's voice. "I almost got that stupid girl under my thumb. Soon enough I can marry her and take all 50,000 of her inheritance."