If Only You Could Know

Ninette's POV

Weeks passed since the party. Eponine and Jaque have gotten closer, but she still has unresolved feelings for Marius. The men went back to training, I help train and teach Gavroche basic literacy skills and writing. The days seem to just drift by.

As for Enjolras and I.....it's like that night never happened.

He doesn't mention it, but he doesn't act differently either. As if it was all just a dream, but he still has that look in his eyes that he did that night. What does it all mean? Why did he kiss me?

Does he have feelings for me? More importantly, do I feel the same?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
👩‍💻Quick note that this story is happening 2 years before the actual revolution. I wanted to give the characters time to actually fall for each other. As we all know, our leader in red is not the easiest cookie to crack.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's the beginning of June. I am in my chambers, watching the men from my balcony. My heart skips when Enjolras looks up at me with a ghost of a smile, before returning to his duties.

Oh Ninette...you promised yourself you wouldn't do this again. Yet, I can't ignore the feelings that are forming. Maybe this time is different.....

With a deep sigh, I sit on the ground with my back to the balcony railing.

🎶

"Every time I see his face I get annoyed. If ignorance is blissed, he's overjoyed." I shake my head with a light scoff.

Then, I smile softly in amusement. "And can we talk about that stuff he calls his hair?" My smile falters at a new thought. "But what would happen if one day he wasn't there?"

"I'm caught by surprise. Could I wake up one day and realize...." I move to my knees and peek out at him. "...the one that I want is right in front of my eyes?" I shake my head, getting the thoughts out and standing up, walking into my room.

"There's suitors that always come through the door. They claim to love you, but always want more. Sometimes I wish to just run from this place..." I stop and Enjolras's face flashes through my mind. "...then I start thinking of that jackass with a face."

I turn back to the balcony and start slowly walking back to it. "Is the one that I want right in front of my eyes?"

I reach the balcony and stare out at the man in red. "I'm caught by surprise. Now, that I'm starting to realize the one that I want is right in front of my eyes."

He looks up and meets my eyes. I quickly run inside.

🎶

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the men moved inside to go over plans with Papa, I decided to go train by myself. I chose to familiarize myself with guns and practice my aim. I pick up one of the revolvers from the tables and loaded it.

My eyes trained on the target. Lifting up the revolver, I line it up and shoot. The bullet barely hit the side of the target. I kept trying and each time I inched closer, but kept failing to reach the actual painted target.

So in depth into my concentration, I didn't notice someone approaching and watching me. After my last miss, the chamber was empty. I groan loudly in frustration and start cursing at the damn thing, stopping only when I hear laughing.