Chapter 3: Lily

Eli drove in the intense rain around the busy street and honking horns

"We should get one of those stupid minivans that makes you feel like a loser dad." Autumn snickered as she propped her feet on the dash.

"Going to school for tech already makes me feel like a loser."

"Whatever, Bill Gates is so sexy."

"Bill Gates is a billionaire, and I'm pretty sure if he walked right by you you wouldn't even know who he was."

"Not true, I just watched a whole documentary about him, where Ashtun Kutcher played him."

Eli couldn't hold back the laugh. "I'm pretty sure you're thinking Steve Jobs."

"Who's he?"

"Not Bill Gates."

"Whatever, they both make computers." She said.

"And they're both billionaires."

"Precisely, there's no difference."

He smiled. "Sure...let's leave it at that."

She smirked and stared at the gray sky and tall building that encircled them.

Autumn sighed. "Do you want kids?"

He smirked. "Where did that come from?"

She shrugged. "Just curious." She held up her chin on her hand and stared out the rain-splattered window. "Do you?"

He thought for a moment and then nodded. "Well, yeah," he shrugged. "I've kind of always wanted kids, you know, like when you want something and you don't notice yourself wanting it because it's just in you." He stared forward with a casual expression on his face and then suddenly it changed instantly and he turned to her. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

She turned to him and shouted back. "No! God, of course not, if I was I think I'd be freaking out right now." She sighed and let her head fall back as she raised her legs onto the dashboard.

Eli was quiet for a moment and then he looked at her. "Are you worried about something?"

She stared at the mindless rivers of ran running purposelessly down the glass of the car windows. "I lied to you."

"About what?"

She tried not to show any emotion as she spoke. "I told you when we started dating that I didn't want to start a family...and I also lied to you about Lily, I have no idea why she needs to stay with us...oh, and I forgot to tell you that your friend Joe called the other day to ask you to cover his shift from like a week ago." She sighed. "That last one's been weighing on me for a while."

He stared at her through his rounded glasses and his hands on the steering wheel. "Wait, so...you want a family with me?"

She rolled her eyes. "Seriously, I just gave you like three lies and that's the one you chose?"