Chapter 5: The Closet Isn't Such a Bad Idea...

"I don't know what happened, she used to be so

"I don't know what happened, she used to be so...so," Autumn paused then added. "she's not that different, to be honest, she's always been a bit boring." She paused in a moment of thoughtfulness. "...I just feel like she would have at least been excited to see me. she just acted...like, depressed...maybe she's depressed."

Eli shifted under Autumn and grunted with her weight and the fact that his arm as falling asleep. "Yeah, she seems...distracted or something..." he shifted again. "Hey," he added in a tone that said he was changing the direction of the conversation. "Maybe the coach has more room."

Autumn shifted again and tried to give him some room on the tiny mattress she was able to shove into the little closet that was for Lily. "No--this is fine. I didn't set this shitty thing up for it just to go to waste."

He shifted again and then sighed loudly. "Autumn, as much as I like being this close to you, maybe--"

she cut him off by kissing him. she held the kiss long enough for him to get that she wanted him to shut up. when she finally pulled her face away she stared at him for a long moment.

"Want to have sex now?" she said suddenly.

he stared at her as though she'd simply asked him to do his laundry, or drive her to the story. he sighed and stared at her a short moment. "What's bothering you?"

She rolled her eyes. "It's Lily...she's fucking bugging me." she fell back on his chest and he grunted with the impact. she sighed. "You know, when we were kids, one time we were playing and I held up a stick and put it against my crotch and I told her it was my penis and then she asked me what a penis was." Autumn giggled. "It was probably the most fucked up thing I've ever done...yeah, that poor kid...maybe it's because she didn't have me that she is now screwed up."

He placed his hand on Autumn's back and rubbed her shoulder blade slowly. "What was she like anyway? You say there's something off...but that she's not much different."

Autumn was silent as she thought for a long moment. "I don't know...I think Lily's always been vulnerable. you know, her parents were killed in a car crash when she was only eleven...and my parents weren't in much of a stable place at the time they took her in." she sighed again. "Back then, she was a little off...but at least she seemed happy, hopeful like there might be something good to look forward to in life."

Eli shifted so that he could meet her eyes with his. "You think that's gone now?"

She looked at him a long moment. "I don't know...now, it's like there's nothing there. It's like, no personality, or feeling...or maybe just a bunch of walls." she broke her connection with him and stared at nothing. "Maybe she's just upset that she's stuck with us...we are the bottom of the rung like you said...this sucks."

"Hey," Eli lifted her chin to meet his eyes again. "You're the coolest person in the whole world...lowest or not, I'd rather be on your rung than any other."