23.

And she said to herself, "I have to stop falling in love with memories."

"You okay?" I hear a voice say behind me as I pack my textbooks into my locker.

"Yeah. You didn't have to stand up for me, you know. I got it." I turn to Zane. He's leaning on the locker to my right with his arms crossed, observing nothing and everything.

"Why didn't you say anything back?"

"Because there's no point in stooping to her level. She's just like the rest of them. It's their ignorance." I shrug and close my locker door.

"But still, they shouldn't be talking to you like that, ignorance or not. It's called manners and knowing they wouldn't want someone talking to them like that."

I shrug my shoulders again and we walk down the hallway to the lunchroom. "It's whatever. It honestly doesn't bother me anymore."

"Well it bothers me, and if you won't say anything about it, then I don't mind standing up for you and doing so." He grabs my hand and lightly squeezes it to comfort me. "You're amazing, and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot who has to deal with me." He kisses my hand and lets it go to fall back to my side.

I smile at that. "Thanks. You're too sweet sometimes."

"Does that mean I'm off the hook now?" He opens the doors for me and we head into a huge cafeteria of noises coming every which way, each person having a conversation with the person next to them.

I can't help but laugh as I walk to the lunch line. "Not that easily."

"Well, I tried." He grins and stands behind me. After we get our food, I head to my regular table of hijabis, including Fadwah and Nesreen.

"I'll talk to you later." I say over my shoulder, lunch tray in hand.

"Why don't you come sit with me?" He asks, starting to guide me to the table of popular kids. The guys talk to each other about something that's probably sports-related, while the girls are staring over at where Zane and I are, whispering and giving me weird looks.

"Uh, I'd rather not. They don't like me. That's not really my type of crowd, anyway. And there goes Blondie from earlier." I mutter.

"They won't say anything to you while I'm there. Come on, please." We stand in the middle of the cafeteria and I'm sure at least a thousand pairs of eyes are looking over at us, wondering what the hottest guy in school could possibly be talking to the weird covered girl for.

"Maybe next time." I smile at him under my niqab.

"Why do you care so much what people think, Yasmeen?"

"I don't." I argue. "I just would rather not deal with the jealous looks and probably catch evil eye." I joke. "And you have to remember these people don't know we're married, so it isn't the same, Zane."

"Fine, next time, then." He looks down at me with a sad look. I almost feel bad. He looks intently into my eyes before I walk away to my table of friends.

"Assalaamu alaykum."

"Wa alaykum salaam." They respond with smiles. I take my usual seat next to Fadwah and facing Nesreen.

"What's up, guys?" I ask and look down at my food. Now that I think about it, I'm not even really hungry. I grab the banana on the tray and peel it before proceeding to take a bite from it.

"Not much, Nesreen was telling us about this mystery guy she's been having sit downs with." Fadwah says with a giggle.

Nesreen blushes and smiles. "He's such an amazing guy, I swear. He's all I've been asking for and more. Lowers his gaze and is strong in the deen and everything. And he's so hot, ya Rabb. Looks like Marlon Teixeira, beard and all, ma sha Allah." She gushes.