Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Annabeth’s POV

                I stared, open mouthed, at the glowing figure I had once loved. Kronos turned away from us, and with a wave of his hand, released our bindings. “Go now, for you are warned. Bring the news to your camp and prepare for battle. The new age of the Titans has begun!” Kronos raised his hand victoriously, and I watched a timid figure calmly approached him.

                “Father” Chiron whispered. The word sounded foreign on his tongue. “Please release the boy. He is pure at heart” “Stand down, son” Kronos spat the last word out, back still turned towards us. “Percy Jackson is never returning. His kind soul was crushed by the people standing before me” He turned rapidly; giving each of us a look of fury.

“You could’ve saved me” Kronos whispered mockingly, golden eyes flickering. He approached Grover. “G-Man, I thought we were best friends? But I guess you only wanted me to get your searchers license” Grover was chewing his lip nervously as the Titan King spoke to him. Kronos turned to Nico. “Why weren’t you there for me? You were like my little bro” Kronos impersonation of Percy’s voice was spot on; even the child of Hades looked troubled. “Pinecone face, I thought we were like siblings” He looked imploringly into her eyes. “Cousins” “You are no cousin of mine!” Thalia spat, drawing her bow. With a lazy flick of his hand, the bow evaporated into sea mist. Thalia looked outraged as he turned to Clarisse. “You never cared, so why should I even bother” Kronos snorted and Clarisse looked murderous. “I cared of him, not of you!”

I never knew Clarisse cared about Percy. It always seemed as she wanted to rip his head off. I guess feelings come out when you least- “Annabeth Chase” Kronos said, looking into my eyes. “Need I divulge any more? You chose me over that Alton. You ripped my heart in half” Kronos was able to portray Percy’s hurt face better then Percy himself. I quickly shut my eyes, not wanting to see the cold eyes of the monster. I felt fingers stroke my face when a loud cough interrupted it.

                “Move to the father” Rhea’s cold voice rang out. I heard Kronos sigh as he confronted Poseidon. I opened my eyes. “Dear father, why did you not answer my calls?” Kronos said. Poseidon gritted his teeth and raised his hand. A 20 foot wave rose into the air from a nearby creek. Kronos merely chuckled, moving his hand as well. Poseidon’s arm abruptly fell to his side.

“Whaa-“For a moment Poseidon looked scared. “Yes. Percy had realized that the body was made of water, no?” Kronos left it at that, smiling. I shuddered, realizing what he meant. “You forgot about me” Rhea’s steel voice suddenly turned sugary sweet as she beckoned to Kronos. Kronos smiled and approached her; wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing her fiercely. I will admit it still pained me to see Percy kissing another girl... Even though we broke up and it wasn’t technically Percy.

                “Get a room” Thalia said dryly. Rhea abruptly unglued her lips from Kronos. “Hey. Imagine being separated for a millennia and finally being back together” She smiled lovingly at Kronos. “But wasn’t it your fault you separated in the first place?” I recalled, crossing my arms. Rhea turned pale but Kronos merely waved her off. “I believe its time I retrieved my sword” Kronos reached into the still going flames without any hesitation. I bit my lip; curse the Curse of Achilles for not letting him catch on fire.

Withdrawing his perfectly unscathed hand; Kronos held up the ballpoint pen proudly. Riptide. Uncapping it; it elongated into a midnight black sword I remember etched into my mind.

Backbiter

Percy’s POV

                As soon as those last words of the chant were said I instantly blacked out. “This must be the part where I get trapped in my mind” I thought as I awoke. Glancing around, I did a double take. I was still in the forest, but nobody else was here.

                “Percy!” Thalia ran up, bow in hand. I instantly ducked, remembering that she now hated me. Thalia merely sighed and said. “Come on Kelp head! We have to get the flag!” Dragging me along, we raced towards Zeus fist where the blue gray flag was sticking out the top. I gave Thalia a confused look. “What’s going on-““If you don’t get the flag I will” She threatened; eyes scanning the perimeter. “Now go!” She pushed me towards the rock. Unsure of what to do, I quickly scampered up the rock and reached for the flag. A warm, invisible hand stopped me. “Not so fast Seaweed Brain” The beautiful figure of Annabeth Chase appeared. “You’ll have to get through me first”

                Ok, now I was seriously wondering what was going on? Things hadn’t been like this in... Over a year. “So be it” The words seemed to flow out of my mouth as I reached into my pocket and drew my pen. I glanced at it in shock. Hadn’t I thrown this in the fire?

                Annabeth, noticing my hesitation, grinned and tried to stab me in the stomach with her knife. I duck and rolled; my demigod reflexes kicking in. Uncapping my pen without hesitation; I leaped towards the blond and attacked her fiercely. I never once landed a blow, but she seemed to be wearing out. With a smirk, Annabeth gestured towards the rock. “Okay, Percy. You win” I was a little suspicious; but reached for the flag anyway. Annabeth smirked and grabbed my shirt; tossing me over the edge.

                It wasn’t too high a fall, but it still hurt. I rubbed my back as the Athena team ran up with the sea green flag. Annabeth landed gracefully next to my body before leaning in closely. “Athena always has a plan” She whispered before kissing me.

And might I say; it was the best kiss since the underwater one in the lake