Chapter 71 [Grand Finale PART 1]

Troy returned to hwayoungs house. when he got there, he didnt remember why he came in the first place. his bitterness towards himself, the guilt. no matter what he did or said, it was always there. why did he come back? to prove that his beliefs about Areum being elementian were true? he wasnt even sure anymore. he cleaned up the spot where he had slept on her floor and he left her house, taking the few belongings he had there, leaving no goodbyes for his friends.

Troy spent the following weeks avoiding his friends, slacking off and living off the remaining funds he had managed to withdraw from his account before it was closed on him. he wandered the streets living almost like a bum until one day he decided to return and check in on everyone.

he watched the schoolyard from a distance. too far to see anything clearly. high school students being high school students. everything was normal. nothing out of the ordinary.
he decided to go back to his apartment against his best judgement.

When he got there, there was a notice on the door. all he needed to see was eviction written across the top. troy was surprised all of his things werent taken out already. he figured he still had some time. not that it mattered as he didnt plan on taking any of it with him. he stood at his door when he heard voices coming from a few doors down. without question, it was Soyeons voice. he panicked and quickly went inside his apartment and peaked out the curtains. Soyeon was walking with the landlord. Troy quietly and gently opened the window a bit to eavesdrop.

"are you sure he hasnt been here?" Soyeon asked the landlord.

"i've been watching his place as much as i can. he owes me money. i havent seen him in weeks." he answered her.

"how much longer until he has to pick up his things?" Soyeon asked him again.

"4 days." he said simply.

"i see.." Soyeon sighed. "well please if he comes tell him he better call Soyeon."

"ill give him the message." the landlord said, writing down her name and contact information.

soyeon departed as the landlord came to troys door. troy scrambled away from the window and jumped down the hall. the landlord came in and then left. troy waited a bit just to be safe before coming out. the landlord left soyeons message on the kitchen table. he picked it up and thought about calling her. as he thought about it, his phone rang.

it rang once, twice. he hesitated, afraid to answer. three times, four times before picking the phone up slowly. he raised it to his ear, but didnt say hello.

"Troy, i know it's you." Mou said on the other end. Troy didnt believe it, maybe he was just mistaken. "it's time to come in. youve been off the grid for too long."

"M.. Mou? is that you?" Troy asked.

"i know youre probably surprised to hear from me. i was just as surprised to learn you were okay as well. we can swap war stories when you get back." Mou said.

"yea im not so sure i should just yet." Troy answered him, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"Troy this isnt about the girl you think is an elementian. Areum, was that her name?" Mou said.

"you saw what she could do. you witnessed it." Troy said boldly.

"Troy, im not calling to argue. you need to come in for debriefing. if you dont, that cute friend of yours that has been coming to your house almost everyday--"

Mou was cut off by troy:

"if you even finish that sentence i will make you wish you had died that day the lab exploded." Troy said furiously.