Chapter 3

During the feast, I was seated in the middle of Cal and Maven. The newly discovered Mareena Titanos was seated between Maven and the extremely angry Evangeline. Barely anyone seated in the great hall could enjoy the food being served after the events of Queenstrial. As the servants poured wine in the golden goblets situated beside each person's plate Evangeline's father Lord Volo Samos stood and raised his glass.

"To Lady Rowan Thornton and Tiberias Calore the future King and Queen of Norta."

Lord Samos and my father had always been good friends and he never had any reason to hold a grudge against our house before. I was glad to know that our houses still maintained a good relationship.

"Oh, let's not forget Prince Maven and his new fiance Mareena Titanos" Volo continued a dangerous glint in his eye

All of the Samos family seemed livid that Evangeling had lost her title of Princess to a girl that had been raised as a red her whole life. Mareena knew nothing about the silver world, and it would take a lot of training for her to master her ability. I was willing to get to know Mareena more and try to become friends with her. After all, we would become sisters later on. 

After Volo finished the King and Queen stood up and raised their glasses, smiling at the guests seated around the table. Cal stood up as well, then myself, then Maven, and finally Mareena after a few moments. Once everyone's glass was raised we then sat back down and the feast began. 

While the rest of the silvers took a sip out of their wine glasses Cal, Maven and I remained still. After seeing our parents drunk one too many times during a party, we all vowed to never drink the wine. Normally Evangeline avoided the wine, but this time she took a big sip. No doubt she was experiencing so many emotions, and what better way to make them go away than alcohol.

Mareena raised the wine glass to her lips before Maven swiftly took it out of her hands.

She gave him a questioning look and he replied "You'll thank me later" 

During the feast, I made small talk with Cal and Maven. Meanwhile, Mareena stayed quiet the whole time. She seemed to be observing the royal nobles and trying to learn their names.

After a while, almost all of the adults were visibly drunk including Evangeline for the first time. It seemed like the only one who remained sober the whole time was Queen Elara. 

"I think you've had enough Evangeline," I said shaking my head "Can you please get her some water instead" 

The red servant nodded as Evangeline pouted and turned her attention towards Mareena. She then ran her hand down Mareena's arm with her sharp black nails, drawing a bit of blood

Both Maven and Cal had made their way over to King Tiberias who was clearly drunk and were trying to help him stand. He was laughing incredibly loudly and had almost spilled wine on his wife's dress...twice. 

I looked back over at Evangeline and saw that she was incredibly close to Mareena's face

"Get in my way and I'll kill you slowly, little lightning girl" Evangeline whispered in once she realized no one was watching except for me

To cement her point Evangeline's smooth metal bracelet shifted into a circle of sharp thorns. Each tip glistened ready to spill Mareena's blood all over the Great Hall.  Before Evangeline could do anything I stood up and extended an arm to Mareena. Even though I understood completely how Evangeline must feel in this situation, that didn't give her a right to threaten Maven's new betrothed.

"Would you like to see what the Calore brothers are up to Mareena?" I asked

She narrowed her eyes skeptically but linked her arm in mine nevertheless. We made our way over to where the royal family was getting ready to leave. King Tiberias was leaning up against Cal in order to stand up straight.