Chapter 17

After we made our way out of the dungeons everyone got cleaned up and fixed their disheveled appearances. Weston had still yet to explain to me what had happened, however, both of us remained silent as we headed towards our separate rooms.

I quickly got changed out of my wine-stained ballgown, cleaned up my makeup, and took my hair out of its messy updo. Once I was changed into something far more presentable I left my room and headed towards the throne room where I would meet everyone else.

When I reached the door I noticed far more Sentinels and security guards standing in front of it than usual. Their guns were raised and aimed at the passageway just in case another attack happens. However, once I took a step forward they moved to the side and opened the door for me to pass. 

As I enter the throne room I scanned the crowd for a sign of anyone I knew. The first person that came into my view is Weston and my parents. I quickly rushed over to them and my Mother immediately pulled me in for a hug.

"Oh, sweetheart I'm so glad you're alright," She said as she pulled away from the hug

"I'm glad that you're alright to Mom" I replied giving her hand a squeeze

"That attack was the worst I've seen in ages, I don't even know how many dead?" My Dad asked turning towards Weston

"Ten so far" He mutters "Three in the shooting, seven in the explosion, and fifteen more wounded"

"They'll all heal" Dad gestures at the many healers stationed in the throne room attending to the injured

"Have they found out who's responsible for this?" Mom asked linking her arm in Dad's

"Mom I told you, it's the Scarlet Guard" Weston replied an aggravated tone in his voice "When I went off after them with Cal and Evangeline they threatened to kidnap Rowan. She's not safe here at the castle anymore-"

"I knew I should have never sent you off looking for her" Dad sighed as he cut off Weston

"Don't be silly Weston. If anything the castle is the safest place for Rowan. They have Sentinels and guards around every corner for security. Not to mention she's engaged to Prince Tiberias and he would never let anything happen to her." Mom added

"Can someone please fill me in here" I said starting to get annoyed that I had no clue what they were talking about

"We were all talking with the Samos family when the gunshots were fired. Mom and Dad couldn't find you in the crowd anywhere so they sent Evangeline and I to make sure you were ok. Of course, I agreed because you're my sister and I'd do anything to protect you. Evangeline and I went the long way around to avoid the chaos of everyone rushing to find shelter. We saw Cal and a group of sentinels chasing after people that were headed towards the drainpipe so we joined up with him. Cal was yelling at them telling them to stop, but they just kept running. Eventually, we chased them into a dead-end, but the leader wouldn't stop threatening you the whole time. She said that the key to making the kingdom fall was taking away you. That's when Cal lost it-"

Before Weston could finish someone cleared their throat from behind. All of us turned around to see who had joined our conversation. I looked directly into none other than Cal's golden eyes. 

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but it's time for Rowan and I  to take our place by the throne"

I nodded and said a quick goodbye to my family before following behind Cal. I saw Maven and Mareena standing beside each other on the other side. Normally I would give Maven a warm smile, but this time I didn't even glance in his direction. I will not even look at him as long as he continues to help the Scarlet Guard kill innocent people.

"The time for tears is over" King Tiberias thunders

The crowd's murmurs and sniffles died down as King Tiberias began to speak.

"I am the king and I will never forget...or forgive. I have been lenient in the past to our red brothers. I have allowed them a good life full of prosperity and dignity. But they betrayed us, and now I will bring upon them the worst kind of doom."

With a snarl, King Tiberias took out the Scarlet Guard's red flag that Lucas found and ripped it clean in half. He then set the flag on fire and everyone watched as it fell to the ground in flames. 

"These murderers will be brought to justice, and they will die. I swear on my crown, on my throne, on my sons, they WILL DIE"

I look over at Cal to see his reaction to his Father's statement, however, he keeps his eyes fixed straight ahead looking at nothing in particular. He has an unreadable expression on his face.

All of the silvers in the room begin to stand as one, wounded or not. They raise one fist in the air and begin chanting 

"Strength. Power. Death."

Maven Calore...what have you done?