Chapter 7

My days take on rhythm, even more so now that I will be the future queen of Norta. Breakfast with Mareena and Queen Elara in the morning, training right after, and lunch followed by dinner where we have paraded around with the other girls from Queenstrial. Sonya and her grandmother still always seem wary of Mareena, but as promised Maven's help seemed to have work. 

At the next gathering, in the Queen's personal dining hall, the Iral's ignored Mareena completely and turned their attention towards the Queen. Evangeline was seated between myself and Mareena, so if she tried anything there was no way I would be able to stop it in time.

Mareena would flinch every time Evangeline would cut into her food using the metal knife. I saw Evangeline smirk out of the corner of my eye, clearly enjoying being able to torment Mareena. I nudged her in the elbow and shook my head silently telling her to stop scaring Mareena.

"And how do you like the hall of the Sun, LadyTitanos?" Atara asked, "I assume it's no comparison to the-the village you lived in before." 

Atara said the word village like it was a curse. She then made eye contact with Evangeline who's smirk only widened. Most of the other girls laughed and some whispered amongst themselves.

"The Castle is very different from what I'm used to-" Mareena started

"Obviously" Evangeline interrupted her

"I took a tour of the Capital Valley once, and I must say, the Red villages are simply deplorable. They don't even have proper roads." Elane joined in

Mareena's jaw tightens and it looks as though she might explode. I see her try to force a smile, but it just turns into a grimace

"It's the best they can do with what they have," I spoke up as everyone turned their attention towards me.

I was trying to play the middle ground thus far. I didn't want to make an enemy out of any of the girls here, but at the same time, it was hard watching them intentionally insult Mareena. Everyone remained silent thinking about the statement I had made

"They're suited to such lives," Evangeline said finally breaking the peaceful silence

"It's not our fault they were born to serve," Atara said shrugging her shoulders

Mareena looked like she could lose it at any moment. However, Queen Elara glanced at her and she took a deep breath trying to calm herself down.

"It is indeed," She said after a moment 

All around the table, everyone listens intently, wanting to know Mareena's response. A few people even smiled hoping to catch the new princess lose her temper.

"Of course, being forced to live such lives, with no respite, no reprieve, and no escape would make servants of anyone." She finished

The few smiles vanished and most of the girl's faces showed disgust and bewilderment. However, this whole time my face had remained neutral.

"Lady Titanos is to have the best tutors and best help to make sure she adjusts properly," Elara says quickly trying to diffuse the situation

"She's already begun with Lady Blonos," I add 

Elara gave me a smile that I gladly returned. I was hopeful that this Luncheon would soon be over and I could go back to my day.

Some of the girls giggled while others rolled their eyes and whispered amongst each other. However, the face that caught my attention was Evangeline's. She almost looked hurt that I had chosen to defend Mareena over her. After all, we have been friends for a long time.