Chapter 10

The next day I made my way towards the training arena. Last night I had offered Cal take Mareena back to her home town in the Stilts. I still hadn't heard back from him about how it went, so I was curious to find out. Unfortunately, I hadn't seen either one of them yet. Today the rest of the nobles that competed in Queenstrial were joining us for training, so it should definitely be an interesting session. Mareena had also moved up from Protocol and would now be joining the rest of us as well.

However, I wasn't expecting to see Mareena standing with Maven away from everyone else in the corner when I walked in. I made eye contact with Maven and raised an eyebrow at him in surprise. I hadn't realized that Maven and Mareena had become so close. Maven then gestured for me to come over next to him. I walked over and did a friendly wave which both of them returned.

"How was your visit yesterday?" I asked once I stood beside Mareena

Maven's face showed confusion at what I had said. I then realized that no one had ever told him about sneaking out of the castle. Even when Cal and I went, it had never crossed our minds to bring Maven along with us.

"Difficult" She responded, "One of my brothers was executed, just before he was released from the military."

I gently put my hand on her shoulder for comfort. I couldn't imagine what I would feel like if Weston died. "I'm so sorry, Mareena. I'm sure he didn't deserve it."

"No, he didn't" She whispered

I decided not to push her any further seeing as she looked visibly upset. I figured that she could always tell me once the two of us were alone. Maven stared at me intently, like he's trying to read the secret in my eyes. However, it wasn't my place to tell him what happened...that was Mareena's.

Our conversation was interrupted by Evangeline, Sonya, and Elane making their way towards us. I knew that this couldn't possibly be a good encounter. Ever since Mareena became engaged to Maven Evangeline had been sending her threatening glares. Even though she did have the right to be jealous, there was no need to be volatile. Even though Evangeline hadn't done anything yet, I was starting to get worried about Mareena's safety. Especially during training. There's no telling what Evangeline might do to be able to get revenge.

"Graduated from Protocol already? Did you finally master the art of sitting with your legs crossed?" Evangeline sneered

"Yup," Mareena said popping the "p"

"Took you long enough," Elane said her voice dripping with venom

"From what I've heard Mareena's been doing excellent in her training so far-" Maven started

"Well she hasn't had to face Arven yet," Evangeline said cutting maven off

"Arven?" Mareena questioned having not heard his name before

"Rane Arven is our instructor" I began to explain "He oversees broadcasted executions in the capital and he has the power to turn silvers abilities off"

"Oh, well guess living in a red village will really pay off," Mareena said a big smile on her face

"Sure it will" Evangeline scoffed

"We'll catch up with you later Rowan" Sonya waved goodbye as she, Elane, and Evangeline made their way back to the center of the training area.

Just then the glass doors opened and Arven walked through with Cal and a telky from House Provos behind him.

"Lines," He says, his voice barely a whisper

Everyone stopped what they were doing and quickly formed two lines. Cal was the leader of the 1st one and I was the leader of the second. It was a tradition for the future King and Queen to lead training. Maven hurries to stand behind me as he pushes a wide-eyed Mareena behind Cal.