Chapter 22

* Major spoiler warning ahead. This chapter is based on chapter 26 in the first Red Queen book and reveals major plot-points. However, if you have read the series or don't mind then read on. I hope you enjoy! *

Mare's P.O.V.

I failed. Maven had assured me that I could convince Cal to join us. However, it didn't work. Everything ultimately came down to Maven begging Rowan to choose him...but that failed too. Rowan chose the throne, but more importantly Cal. Part of me knew that she wouldn't choose him after what she saw on the boat. I know that Queen Elara was in my head. She was the reason I kissed Maven. I can tell from the way Maven looks longingly at Rowan that he loves her. I would never try to separate the bond the two of them have together. Unfortunately, I had no choice because Elara was in my head. 

After we arrived at Whitefire Maven had pulled me aside and told me the plan. In order to take a stand, he would light the bridge connecting the city on fire. It would symbolize that the Scarlet Guard would not back down, no matter the cost.

Everything was going according to plan...up until now. Maven had seemed so certain and confident, yet everything fell apart. It's over. 

The worst part is that Maven and I are now kneeling beneath the King and Queen, waiting to hear our fate. There are no windows in the room and a large group of sentinels has been standing guard outside. The King stands in the center, anger radiating off of him. His ceremonial sword hangs at his side and I wonder if that is how we will be executed.

The Queen immediately begins going through my head, invading my thoughts once again. She starts at the beginning revealing everything Maven and I had done, sparing no details. Meanwhile, Cal enters the room, his boots echoing as he walks across the marble floor.

"I escorted Rowan to her room. She doesn't need to see this" He said grimacing

"Agreed," Elara said a mischievous glint in her eye

"Son?" Kin Tiberias says, his tone somber "I want to hear this from you"

"They've been part of this for a long time," Cal said forcing the words out

"Ever since she came here" Elara sneered

"Both of them?" King Tiberias raised his brows

Cal reluctantly nodded as Maven sent a glare his way

"You knew about all this?" The King turned his attention towards Maven

"I helped plan it. I gave the Scarlet Guard targets for the shooting" Maven said glaring at the King "Are you proud of me Father?"

I see small tears form in the King's eyes, however, his somber face soon turns to anger. Before he can say anything else Elara, who has not said a word, finally spoke.

"Our son has always wanted to bring change Tiberias. To be his own person, to not be stuck in his brother's shadow. You must understand-"

"NO" King Tiberias yells cutting her off "Maven has killed together with this- this wretched red-blooded girl. They have committed unspeakable crimes against me, against our people, against the throne"

"Father," Cal says putting a hand on King Tiberias's shoulder "There has to be another way"

King Tiberias takes a deep breath his eyes hardening, "When you are King, you will understand"