Chapter 4

Flashback 

I was running through the castle gardens, Maven and Cal right behind me. It had been a tradition for the 3 of us to go outside and escape the stress of being royalty ever since we were little. 

"At the rate, you two are going, you'll never catch me" I jokingly said

When we first got outside Cal suggested that we have a race. He said that the first person to catch me was the winner. I had immediately taken off my flats, grabbed a handful of my dress, and took off running. 

"Yeah right" Cal laughed along with me and started to speed up towards me

I could tell he was gaining on me, so I picked up the pace a little

"Hey, wait up" Maven yelled as he tried to keep up with Cal and I

"You should just give up now Maven," Cal laughed "we both know if anyone's going to catch Rowan it's me"

I heard Maven grit his teeth, and when I looked back his blue eyes had turned a darker shade than normal.

Before I knew what was happening warm arms wrapped around my waist and spun me through the air. I laughed as I was spun around by whichever one of the Calore brothers had won the race.

Once I was set down I looked up into Maven's blue eyes and could feel the pride radiating off of them. I pulled Maven into a hug his warmth calming me. 

Even though I was a shiver I always found the Calore brother's warmth comforting. It was like even though our silver abilities were opposite we were still the source of each other's comfort.

Once I pulled away from Maven I saw Cal standing next to him smiling.

"Good game Mavey," Cal said as he pat his younger brother on the back

"Yeah Mavey," I said giggling

"Ughh" Maven groaned "How many times do I have to tell you two not to call me that"

"Aww c'mon you know you love me," I said giving Maven a quick peck on the cheek

I noticed that he blushed a bit, but I didn't think too much of it. After all, it was summer, so the temperature was pretty warm.

"Maven, Tiberias, Rowan" Queen Elara called out to us "I need you all to come inside. I have an important announcement"

Maven's face immediately changed into a cold stare. It was almost as if he knew what Queen Elara was going to say.

"Do you know what she wants?" I asked as we made our way back to the castle.

He just shrugged and continued to burn holes through the back of Cal's head with his stare.

Once we arrived back some sentinels escorted us to the parlor where my mother was waiting as well. There was also tea laid for me to drink.

"Please sit down" Elara gestured towards a couch

I sat down between the Calore brothers and began sipping my tea.

"As you all know we've been trying to find Tiberias III a suitable wife who will also make a great future queen of Norta. After some consideration, I've decided that the best person to marry Tiberias would be...Rowan." Queen Elara announced

I gasped and almost choked on the tea. I immediately set the cup down and began trying to stifle my coughs.

I couldn't believe it. I was going to be engaged to Cal. Cal's expression was just as shocked as mine. His eyes were wide and he turned to me. I accidentally let one or two coughs slip out, and he soothingly rubbed my back.

Once I calmed down I looked at Maven who had gone extremely pale. He was just staring intensely at the floor his hands balled into fists in his lap.

My Mother took Elara's hand and smiled at her "Isn't this great news?"She asked

Maven then forcefully stood up and quickly walked towards the door "Excuse me. I'll be back in a minute" 

I watched him walk into the hallway and slam the door on his way out.

"Is he-" My mother asked

"Oh, he'll be fine. You know how teenagers are. Plus he hasn't been feeling well lately" Elara said dismissing my mother's concern with her hand

"Would it be all right if I checked on him?" I asked the idea suddenly forming in my head

"Of course dear," Elara said a smile forming on her face

I quickly made my way down the corridor after Maven. I could see his silhouette headed down the hallway towards his bedroom.

"Maven" I called out to him

He turned back to look at me for a second and our eyes met. It looked as if he was about to cry. I ran towards him and he shook his head walking away.

Just before he could open the door to his bedroom I gently grabbed his arm trying to get him to talk to me. He then took my outstretched arm and pinned me to the wall next to the door.

I inhaled a shaky breath and his cold eyes softened a bit. I had never seen this side of Maven and it scared me a little bit.

"I-I'm sorry Rowan. It's just..." he started

"It's ok," I said gently "This news is a big surprise for me too"

"I guess I just don't want to believe that this is happening."

"At least we'll still be living in the castle together. Besides Cal doesn't even get to choose his wife. He's just stuck with me. At least you'll  get to choose someone" I said trying to get Maven to look on the bright side

Quite honestly I didn't know why he was so upset. Cal should be the one whose angry, not Maven.

Maven then brought his face inches away from mine. He still had me pinned against the wall and his warm breathe filled my ear as he whispered,

"I think we both know who I would have chosen"