Flashback: Life Changing Introductions

October 2009

Kaydence's POV

"I'm just saying Jase," I grumbled trying to tamp down the excitement flowing through my veins watching my cousin weave through traffic heading to downtown Nashville. We'd been having the same argument since we left his house. I was on fall break from UGA for the weekend. "I wish Mama would see that I really want to move up here. Get my feet wet in the industry. I've got a book full of songs."

"And a shit ton of dreams that may not pan out," Jason sighed stopping at a red light. He turned his attention to me pulling his sunglasses down so I could see his eyes that mirrored my own. He was my cousin but had always been like an older brother to me. "Kay, listen to Aunt Leigh and stay in school. That way you at least have a fall back degree. Look at what all I went through to make it. It's not an overnight success. You've got the voice. An amazing talent for writing songs. But...."

"Jason Aldine Williams," I growled turning in my seat glaring at him full of venom. "If the next words out of your mouth are that I am too young then we are gonna throw down right here in the middle of the street."

"Jesus,'' Jason said with a booming laugh shaking his head. "See that college has brought out the inner feistiness. What happened to the sweet angel who wanted piggy back rides from her older cousin?"

"Whatever," I grumbled unable to not smile at him before shrugging my shoulders. "I'm not a little kid anymore J. I'll finish this semester. Maybe this full year but come May I'm moving. I'll transfer to Belmont if I have to. I want this. I've been playing open mic nights around Athens since this summer. I know I can do this. Maybe next summer I can do merchandise for your next tour."

"Guess it's a good thing I suggested you come to the studio with me today then huh?" he chuckled going down the narrow streets of Music Row. Jason pulled his truck into the lot. I may have let out a squeal of excitement. I jumped out slamming the door feeling the cool autumn breeze blow my shoulder length blonde hair that was lighter after spending all summer on the beach with my roommate. Katie was studying fashion design while I'd stuck to boring business. I coasted through though because I didn't even want to be in school. I wanted to play to a crowd and sing. Jason locked his truck walking to the front wrapping an arm around my shoulders with a smile. "It's just a meeting over some songs that could be on the next album. I've actually recorded one of these guys songs before. Dude has got an insane talent. Pretty sure you have seen him play before around school."

"I dunno," I said with a shrug following him into the building. "I've seen a lot of shows. You keep me with a constant hookup on tickets throughout Georgia. Barely made it after an all nighter studying to the last one you sent me tickets for. But it was good to see Luke. Caroline I swear is the craziest woman I have ever met. Why couldn't you have wound up marrying someone like her Jase?" Lips flattened glaring at me followed by a deep sigh. "What? I've never been a fan of Jessica. It's like she is even more sullen since you became a household name."

"Not now KayKay," he sighed grabbing my arm tugging me down the hall to a recording room pushing the door open. Michael, Jason's producer looked up as we walked in. He gave me a big smile standing up to hug me. "Yea, yea. I have a tag along."

"So I see," Michael chuckled passing over some sheets to Jason pointing at the chairs. "Since you have Kaydence with you, let's try this song out. They are still shopping duet partner ideas but at least she can help you get a feel for it and if you want to cut it."

"Alright," Jason said nodding at me as I took the lyric sheet from him. I took a deep breath clearing my throat getting ready to follow his lead while I skimmed the lyrics. When it came to the verse for the female voice I poured all I had into it like I had nothing to lose. Saw Michael's eyes widen out of the corner of my eye. A smirk twist on Jason's lips before he nodded at me to stop. A low whistle followed by clapping had me whirling around hair flying. A booming chuckle followed before I was wrapped up in a bear hug. Colt squeezed me within an inch of my life as Jason laughed holding his hand out to fist bump the man standing to Colt's right. Hooded green eyes met mine from under the brim of a black hat making a blush burn along my cheeks.