Chapter Eighteen

Stress stared down at Xisuma's unconscious body on the gurney before her.

"Where did he come from?"

"I don't know" Cleo said, poking her fingers into X's neck to check his pulse. "I just found him in the hallway outside. My guess is he's from one of the other departments, wasn't feeling well, and collapsed on the way here"

"Mn" was all Stress could say.

She was trying very hard not to let any unusual emotion or sign of recognition on her face, but it was proving difficult.

"He doesn't seem badly hurt" Stress said, taking control of the gurney. "I can take this one. I know you are busy with Mr. Keralis"

Cleo gave her a thankful smile.

"That would be great. Let me or Scar know if you need help, but I'm sure you're more than capable"

Stress looked around.

"Where is Scar? I haven't seen him the last couple days"

"Oh I think he's helping Cub with the half-breeds. Apparently one of them is very mouthy and received enough punishment that Scar needs to heal it before the process can continue"

Stress felt her stomach drop. One of them was very mouthy? Oh Grian...

Focus on the task at hand  Stress schooled herself, turning back to X. What the hell are you doing here? And what happened?

His pulse, while strangely sporadic, was not overly worrisome. His breath was steady and strong, meaning the likelihood of lung damage was low.

Stress examined his arms and noticed red rings around his wrists. The reasoning for his unconscious state was clear by the large lump on the back of his head.

Why were you tied up? Why were you knocked out?

Too many questions to deal with right now Stress decided. She arranged X properly in a bed, hooked an IV to the back of his hand, and lay a blanket over him.

She pulled out a small flashlight to check his mouth, but when she gently pulled on his chin and his jaw fell open, Stress saw a small folded up paper.

Her heart rate quickened, and she jerked her head around to make sure she was alone. When she was positive Cleo was busy on the other side of the room, she carefully pulled the wet paper from Xisuma's mouth.

With shaking fingers, she opened the note. The script on the paper was tiny and frantic with multiple spelling mistakes as though it had been written in a hurry.

We  are all here to get you and Grian out. Please keep X unconscous until we can mak an escape. We will explain later but hes been acting crzy and we cant have him geting in the way. Once we have Grian we wil come get you and we can get out togeter. Ply along for now
- M

Stress shoved the note in her pocket and rubbed her temples.

This is such a stupid plan. Worse than that, it's risky. What if someone else had found that paper?!

Making a mental note to kick Mumbo later, Stress gathered herself and forced a smile on her face.

Just play along. Just keep playing along.
______________________________________________

"Mumbo this is so stupid!" False whisper shouted, her voice muffled slightly by the cramped space.

"Well I'm sorry False but I didn't hear any better ideas" Mumbo hissed back, continuing to crawl forwards.