Chapter 8

Maya exhaled as the people looked at her including Eric and Morgan.
She didn't want to say anything and knew she wasn't going to say much.

"Can we please discuss this when your parents and siblings aren't here for Thanksgiving? Mom, why tell them about it? It's Thanksgiving and the worst time ever to tell people about the news," Maya said.
"Shawn did. We gathered they knew," Katy said.
"Why would they? You guys have nothing to worry about. The case is over and as far as I'm concerned I don't have to go anywhere," Maya said.
"And if you were?" Topanga asked.
"Then I would have told you guys. Stop being so..."
"That's why ever since we got back you've been acting so weird," Riley said.
"Would you guys calm down? You guys are going on like you're going through it. I'm fine. Everyone is fine. Besides it wasn't my father. It was child services who wanted to take me away. Calm down," Maya said.
"You got off the phone with your mother the weekend of the time capsule. You said it was a work problem," Riley said.
"Also why you have been acting so odd," Cory said and Maya sighed as she stood up.

"No. You think because me and your brother read the same book there is something wrong. I'm fine," Maya said.
"What is he talking about?" Josh asked.
"Apparently you read the same stuff as me now your brother is so worried he even let me out of a three hour detention two and a half hours early. Tell him it's not that big of a deal," Maya said.
"It isn't. Anyone can buy a book," Josh said.
"Thanks," Maya said.

"Does he know?" Topanga asked causing Maya to look at her.
"Did you tell Josh about it that he may have been the reason why you didn't feel like telling us?"
"Yes, she did," Josh said and Riley gasped.
"Why tell him?" Riley asked.
"Riles, he was just there. That's all," Maya said.
"No, that's not... I can't talk to you right now," Riley said as she ran to her room.

"Fantastic," Maya said pulling her hair back.
"Great Thanksgiving, Cor," Shawn said causing Maya to look at him as she grabbed her bag.
"Maya," Cory said.
"No. You think it was easy knowing I could go away? It wasn't. That was the only reason why I didn't tell anyone after I told Josh. I think it's best if I go," Maya said.
"I'll walk you home," Josh said and they were off.