Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The next day came very slowly. I was so excited about my little date with Adam, that I had ditched my homework just thinking about him.

I had imagined all that was going to happen. He would pick me up at seven, he'll drive us to the diner, we'll order our food, and then we will chat and so on. I have got it all planned out.

The only problem was that the clock seems to be moving extra slow today. I had been lying in my bed for the past hour texting Elle, but she takes forever to reply. Probably with Greg, I guess.

Ever since I walked in on their make out session (eew), things had been a little awkward with Greg and I. I have never been particularly fond of him. To me, he just looks like some buff superhuman. Elle would kill me if she read that.

The rest of the day rolled by painfully. I made my way down the steps and entered the kitchen. I skipped the fries that mom had prepared on the table and went to the fruit bowl instead. I chose an apple and proceeded to the sink to wash it. I bit into the fruit and the sweet juice oozed out and rolled down my chin. What have I been missing out all my life? These fruit are great!

Mom and dad were grocery shopping. They went every Saturday. I never tagged along those trips, as I would want to buy every single thing on the shelf that caught my eye. Childish, I know.

I flopped onto the sofa and switched on the television. I turned the channel to MTV. The hits were on. I set the remote control down and got cozy on the sofa. MTV was my favorite channel.

I embarrassingly danced along when Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe came blasting out from the speakers. I even sang along.

"Not bad!" Someone shouted.

I was just then that I realized that I had left the door open. Including the full length windows. Everyone or anyone could see me. Besides, I had been blasting the music. Oh god.

I swiveled my head in the direction of the comment. Apparently random guys decided to pass that horrible comment. I almost dismissed them as trouble makers from our neighborhood, until I distinctively caught sight of a wide smile. I squinted my eyes and saw that it was him. That devil.

Dakota.

Instead of blushing this time, I stuck out my tongue at him. He threw his head back in laughter and stretched his arm out to show me a 'peace' sign. What was wrong with this guy? With that, his friends and him continued walking down the road to god knows where.

Hmph. Stupid Dakota. Always teasing and disturbing me since fourth grade.

I glanced at the clock. 2.17pm, it read. I groaned. This was going to be a long day.

*******

At 5.30, I decided that I would get ready early. I wanted to be ready when he comes over. I had called Elle shortly after the programmer on MTV ended. She agreed to come and help me make up and stuff.

Around 5.40, I still stood in front of my closet, not knowing what to wear. It was only going to be at a diner, so why dress fancy? Just then, the doorbell rang. I went downstairs to unlock the door for Elle.

"Hey there, pretty." Was the first thing she said.

"I called you down here to make me look pretty. If I was already pretty, what's the point of you helping me?" I shot back, wiggling me eyebrows. Elle laughed and grabbed my arm.

"Come on, we'd better get you all dressed up for this."

Elle chose my outfit easily. I had disagreed on it at first because I thought that it was too revealing.

"No it's not!" Elle argued.

"Yes it is! This dress is so new, I have never worn it in my life," I mumbled.

"You'd look perfect, trust me."

I took the dress by the hanger and trudged to the bathroom, defeated. No one could argue with Elle. She has the final say in everything. That was good in a sense, as I would still be choosing my outfit if not for her.

I shimmied into my dress. It was a dark orange dress that my mom had bought for me last year for Christmas. I was amazed that I still fit the dress. I inspected myself on the mirror. The dress hugged my body and accentuated my curves. I have never been so proud of them in my life. I squealed and unlocked the bathroom door and returned to my room.

Elle sat in front of my desk. She had turned my study table to a makeup table. Her makeup supplies were so much! She sat on my arm chair, poised with a cake of foundation in hand.

"Chop chop, lady. You look great, now come here and let mama do the work for you," Elle said in a high pitched voice. I broke into peals of laughter and sat down on the other chair. I closed my eyes as she brushed foundation all over my face.

After making sure my face was completely covered in foundation, she went on to put blusher, eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick.

"Done!" She announced with excitement.

I glanced into the mirror with anticipation. I looked... Different. Beautiful.

"Oh my gosh, Elle! You are a miracle worker!"

She shrugged and added, "Oh, you flatter me." I smirked at her and looked over to the wall clock. 6.59.

I quickly grabbed my purse that I had packed earlier. It contained my phone, wallet and extra makeup for touch up at the diner.

"Thanks Elle, for coming over today. I really appreciate it." I honestly told her as I stepped into my heels.

"No biggie. Just call me when you need me okay?" With that, she bounded off the front porch and skipped home.

I glanced at the clock again. 7.04. Where was Adam?

Mom and dad had returned to unload all the groceries. I told them that I'll be out for dinner, so they had gone out for dinner as well. I hoped we did not choose the same place to dine at. Just that thought alone made me shudder.

7.06. What was talking him so long? Although 6 minutes isn't long, compared to the hours I spent waiting for this, but still. Every girl knows that it's a rule that a guy must not be late for their first date.

I decided to step out onto the porch to try and spot his blue mustang.

A blue mustang I saw, alright. Just that the person sitting in the passenger seat wasn't me. But another girl.

Naya.

Before I knew it, tears started tumbling down my face, ruining my makeup.