15: PROGRESSION

Taking the medical report to the police and file a report was the next task Jannah was going to carry out. She was more than glad when she went there along with Tasleem and Binafa, and one of the police officers at the front counter recognized her at once.

"I almost thought you were never going to come back." He said, then paused, "How are you? I hope you're coping well."

The concern in his eyes made Jannah look down to her shoes, the memory of her flaming tear-streaked face was probably still stuck in his head. She must have looked so miserable and out of her head like a mad woman that afternoon. When Amatullah was raped, the moment they took her to the hospital jannah came straight to the police and reported, unfortunately when Amatullah learnt about it she went berserk, promising to hurt herself if Jannah went on with the case.

"I am fine." She answered, her mouth suddenly turning sour from the traumatic memory, "I'm sorry i disappeared after that day. It was all too much. But I'm coping quite well, alhamdulillah. Thanks for asking sir."

"Very good then. Are you here for the case?"

"Yes sir, i hope its not too late?" Jannah looked at the officer, hopeful.

There was a thoughtful silence before he spoke, "It depends."

Jannah felt her heart sink, Binafa quickly gave her hand a little squeeze to remind her that she and Tasleem were there with her and everything was going to be alright.

"The first time you came would have been easier to pick up traces and pieces of evidence from the crime scene to prove the charge. Even the memories are fresher in the mind of the victim. But I'm afraid it will be a bit complicated case now, for the investigation officers in particular. Anyway, i hope you're here with the victim?"

Jannah tried to speak but the lump in her throat wouldn't let her, so Binafa answered, "She's not here with us sir, unfortunately we lost the victim."

"Innalillahi wa innailaihiraji'un." The officer shook his head ruefully, "I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you. But with her not here, do you think the case will still be workable?"

"Of course, of course." The officer bobbed his head, "We, the Police and the state owe every victim a responsibility to diligently investigate complaints and bring offenders to book, even if the victim is no more, like this case."

Hearing that, jannah's heart swelled with happiness, "Thank you sir."

"Think nothing of it. For now, you're going to write down all the necessary information about the deceased victim and we need the forensic evidence too."

In less than an hour they were done with everything, Jannah could barely hold her tears of relief.

"There's something we call chain of causation, and in this situation it didn't break because this victim died as a result of the rape, so basically the rapist is responsible for both, the rape and her death." The officer explained carefully, "Now the investigation officers will start gathering all the evidences they can lay their hands on against the rapist, although the process might be a bit protracted, you can also contribute by making efforts towards seeing that the investigations are done duly and promptly."

Jannah nodded vigorously with a humongous smile, "In shaa Allah, i will make sure that i do that."

"Very good, we will give you a ring as soon as the investigators are informed."