20: AFFINITY

Sheikh didn't know what got into him, but he found himself dialing Jannah's number, two o'clock in the morning. When the better part of the country was asleep.

He didn't know what surprised him more, the fact that Jannah was still awake at this hour of the night or that she finally answered his call.

He opened his mouth to speak then clasped it back, Sheikh didn't know what to tell her. If there was even something to tell her to begin with!

Jannah didn't speak too, they both stayed quiet, breathing into their phones with their hearts aching so much.

Suddenly after some minutes, Jannah burst out crying and Sheikh swore that sound ripped his heart in half. It dismantled him. He pressed his fingers into his eyes.

He didn't know what was more painful, hearing her cry in misery or knowing his brother was the reason behind those tears.

"I'm sorry, Jannah." He whispered.

"It is your brother, Abdullah." Jannah said, between tears, her voice a bit rough from too much crying.

"I know, I'm sorry."

Jannah sniffled, "Tell me honestly, why did you come into my life? What was your purpose?"

Sheikh gulped a lump that formed in his throat, "I swear, no reason, that was all Allah's plan. Qadr Allahu wa Masha Fa'al, Allah has decreed it and what He willed has happened. My intentions with you have always been pure, Jannah."

Jannah was quiet for a brief moment then she said, "She thought his intentions were pure too. I'm sure Amatullah would have denied it if someone told her he was going to do that to her." She paused and took in a quick breath, "It hurts more than you think."

"I know."

"No, you don't." She said, her voice barely above a whisper, as if there was no fight left in her, "You absolutely have no idea."

"No, we're two unhappy humans broken by one person, we share the same impalpable pain, Jannah. Just like how my brother broke you beyond repair, he broke me just as much." Maybe even more, Sheikh wanted to add, but he knew Jannah would never understand. He had to stand against his brother because of this, and with his family against him. Which situation could be messier than that? What were the chances that he would make it through it?

"I have to go." Jannah said suddenly, probably remembering all the reasons why she shouldn't be on phone with him two o'clock in the morning.

"Jannah wait." Sheikh stopped her, "I need to tell you something, i know this is not the appropriate time but please spare me some seconds because things might go south from now and we won't get another chance to talk like this."

When Jannah didn't say a word, he took that as his cue, "I have tried to keep the feelings i have for you to myself for too long but it is no longer worth keeping. When i said I wasn't serious about the things i told Aneesah, it wasn't true. Jannah I ask Allah for you in every sujood for you check-boxed all my wishlist I didn't even know I wanted. You stole my heart so innocently, I love you, Jannah, i love you so so much for the sake of Allah."

Sheikh clenched his eyes briefly, waiting for her reply with bated breath.

"Then prove it, Abdullah!" She said, her voice daring then ended the call.