Shall we try again?

"I think one of the appeals of suspense is to safely explore our innermost fears." - Lisa Gardner

" - Lisa Gardner

It was Dr. Everett's daily routine to walk through the stone pathway that led to his suite, yet his conscience kept telling him to call in sick for the day. But, he refused to do so since he needed the money to support his family especially now that he had a newborn, and his wife was still on maternity leave.

Another session, another rather peculiar day at the Psychology Pros clinic. Nolan stretched his arms and yawned.

Welcome to Psychology Pros., we'll help you as you go through your toughest battles!

The doctor smirked at those words once he saw the welcome signage mounted on top of the building. Normally he'd bypass the post, but today was different as his mind was full of problematic issues.

He wondered why the owners of the building even named it liked that. The slogan appeared to be an attention-getter rather than one that projects a supportive atmosphere. He wasn't a pro at being a criminal psychologist either, at least that's what he thought, yet Nolan accepted the job as soon as he got the call from his boss.

But now the doctor asked himself why he ever listened to his wife. Three years ago, Christy told him about the open position at her work. He was so excited to hear that, so Nolan took the opportunity to send in his resume to the Human Resources Department.

But never in his life did he think he would experience something eerie as what he found in his office yesterday. A handkerchief soaked in ammonia as if someone wanted to put another into a deep sleep. Although it was a faint smell, he was sure that it was the odor of that colorless gas.

Nolan's instincts haven't failed him as of yet, but he didn't want to take any chances. So, yesterday he took the evidence with him and stopped by the nearby police station and asked the item to be tested as Nolan still had friends there.

Working with the police in the past had its perks.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

The Result :

Poison. The Silent Killer.

Those were the exact words that came out of Officer Wendell's mouth and it left the doctor dumbfounded.

Nolan's sweat began to form upon his face just thinking about it. But he wiped it off as he entered the entrance of the clinic.

As he approached the door of his office, he noticed that a light was turned on, so Nolan thought that his secretary was in early. But as Nolan turned the knob, he was greeted by two women he didn't expect to be arriving so soon. How Ms. Hudson and Ms. Swanson were able to get inside his office's waiting area was something he questioned. 

He stroked his furrowed brow and looked upwards to hide the expression on his face. Nolan also faked a yawn and stretched out his hands to make it look like he was still tired from the morning commute. But in reality, he was baffled as the next person would be since his assistant was not yet at her desk. Vera was the only one who had the other set of keys.

"Good morning Doctor. I hope you don't mind, but the janitor let us in. He saw us waiting by your door and since he had the master key, he let Janneth and I in. Sorry if we startled you," Joanne blurted out. She also held her hand out with a freshly brewed coffee cup. "I figured you might need this too, as Janneth and I made our own earlier."

Still, in awe and with a sense of surprise, the doctor didn't know what to say. It was as if someone zipped his lips. Thus, he just nodded and smiled. Nolan took the coffee from Joanne's hands and sipped it.

It was still warm, black coffee just as he preferred it; yet it was a wonder how they knew what he liked. Someone must have told the women, ahead of time. 

And he wanted an answer for that after he managed to get his voice back.

"Thank you. How did you know I liked my coffee this way?" Nolan asked as he twitched his nose.

Janneth raised her hand and spoke up with glee. 

"Vera told me you liked it that way before Ms. Swanson and I left. She also told us to come in early so I could be your first client!"

The Doctor couldn't believe what he was hearing. His Vera? He definitely needed to give a pep talk with her once she comes in for work. It was like she was taking over his life without his permission.

"Very well, Ms. Hudson, we can start our session just as soon as I get my things together. Meanwhile, please just sit patiently here in the waiting room. Thank you." And with that Nolan went outside to the nearest restroom to wash his face.

He felt distraught over what just happened and needed a breath of fresh air.