Witch in Training

"If I have known much trouble in my youth, I have also known much joy."
 - Clara Schumann

A young woman approached the bench as the ladies of the congregation watched her

A young woman approached the bench as the ladies of the congregation watched her. Dressed in black attire and having her short wavy length hair bounce in curls, Tabitha feared the leader of the Witches Council, Gretchen Scott.

The gray-haired woman eyed Tabitha up and down as if she were scrutinizing her to host a beauty pageant. The old hag asked her to stand up tall and walked to and fro. Gretchen's smile soon became a smirk as she touched the curls of Tabitha's hair.

"Please straighten your hair, Tabitha. This won't do."

"And why not? I love my curls."

The woman in question was not happy with that response and needed to defend her point.

"Although you have medium-length tresses, you need to show people you are a good thinker and value logic, not fun. This will not do, you need to show maturity young lady, for where you are going needs a role model - a sophisticated one."

Gretchen's nose was held up high as if she wanted to prove to everyone that she was in charge here and was adamant to have her way.

"Papa, why was I chosen to do this task? I could probably sense where the evil spirit hides, but I don't know what comes next. That woman does not seem like one that I prefer either".

Although Tabitha was considered to be a young adult and could easily be an independent witch, she chose to take care of her elderly parents since she was their only child. Adopted at the age of five, the Whittles were the only ones she had.

And she did not want to be bossed around, but she was willing to risk her life to protect all those who would harm her parents and fellow witches.

Mr. Whittle stood next to his daughter and looked up as she was taller than him. He put his arms upon her shoulders and let out a breath he appeared to be holding.

"Do you not remember her? She took care of you before she gave you to us. Tabitha, you are our only hope to detect where this evil spirit lurks. You might not like what Gretchen told you, but you must obey her. Please, do it for me and your mother."

His daughter placed her hand up against her face, mainly to express feelings of her frustration. But she needed to do this as she remembered that she wanted to be known for something that many would remember her by.

Even if this first attempt falters the first time, she knew that there will always be a second chance. At least that's what she hoped.

She stood up tall and uttered a little remark to herself to help her succeed.

"Very well father, mother, and Gretchen I will do this for you all! I will be the elementary student that Whitly Middle School needs for protection."

And with that Tabitha hoped she could do well as she would become an undercover student for a few months.