Chapter 5: Living Independently Part I

"Coming of Age is time when you are legalized as adult in eye of the law." Father pull Lilianne and I a week before New Year and give us our impromptu lesson today. "Due War that razed our country fifty years prior followed by civil war to succession, our country has small number of people despite its sheer size, thus the our country's Coming of Age was set at age 17. Meaning once you are 17, you are deemed old enough to get married. Though most were waiting until they graduate from school as attempting to study while you were expecting a child was a difficult task, not to mention risky to the young mother."

Yeah. I can see why. Magic is not a toy no matter what people say. There's mishaps bounds to happens one way or another. And teenager was age when emotions were at most unstable and hormons rears its ugly presence. Miscarriage definitely CAN and WILL happens.

"Noble Children are usually given allowance per month. Some spending it carelessly, some were tightlacer to the point they can last long." Hold on! Why are we talking about allowance now? Non-sequiutur topic! "But, if I found you two spend your money like water without good reasons, let's say I won't be lenient in punishment."

I raised a hand. "Define 'Good Reasons'."

"Books and materials that related to your study. Some lessons were only meant for the filthy rich ones due the heinous price the material required. That and medicine and paying for collateral damage."

Ah. So stuff like Nasuverse's Jewelcraft. Got it.

"To make sure you two won't spend money frugally, I will have you two tested."

"Tested?"

Father snapped his finger and his personal aide, Winsley if I'm not wrong, gave us cheque. Lilianne and I got same amount of money. About 7,500 Golds each.

...big money.

"What should we do with it?" I ask, flabbergasted.

"Why, invest business of course."

"HUH?!"

Father smirked. "Why, to teach you two about money, first thing first you have to know the importance of money and how much they truly weight off in eyes of... how to say it? Ah yes. Normal folks or civilian. You two will only have 75,000 golds to last for entire year. That means, clothes, shoes, foods, servant's salary, water bill and other things come out from your own pocket."

...the phrase...

"Father, why do I felt like you're planning to kick us out...?" Lilianne seems to notice it too, based on her narrowing eyes.

"Because it's short of kicking you out but not really."

What? No, seriously, what? Are you serious?! You're kicking twelve years-and-some-months old child to live by themselves?!

"Once you two hit fifteen, you are will attend exam, like your older brother Kayden. The problem is, if your chosen academy is far from home, like Arcadia, or Imperial Academy, or Seatte which located on other side of country, you two will be living by yourself. Nevermind when you are adult and expected to take care of your own business and fief. Consider this as preparation. Kayden also undergo this, as do I when I was your age."

Ah.

"Oh right. I expect you two to has at least 1,000 gold left by end of the year, ok? And if I hear that all those money are gone before the year end..."

Uwee! The smile is scary!

"U-understood."

"Good then." Father nodded. "You have one week to pack what you need and choose one of empty houses in the city to live for the next year. I expect you two to be ready on second day of new year. Any question?"