Wishes Pt. 5

MJ

It was raining again. All it ever seemed to do was rain these days- MJ felt like the world was drowning, water seeping out of the cracks in the pavement and the bark of the old trees in the park by Janie's apartment. Even when the sun came out, it was a pale, watery imitation of itself that did nothing to chase away the damp. MJ knew that spring was supposed to be the season of new life and regeneration.

But all she saw was water. Even on the days when it didn't rain, a heavy, thick fog would obscure the city, turning the friendly streets into sinister hideaways where strangers loomed and the air seemed to catch in your throat.

MJ wasn't exactly a fan of spring.

But Peter had been. He'd loved the way the weather would change daily, jumping from freezing hail to robin's blue skies and back again. He loved the flowers and the way people seemed new and shining, ready for love.

He even loved the rain.

He was a hopeless romantic, MJ knew, but he said he loved the way the rain would beat down on the rooftops, filling the gutters and dripping off the signposts. He loved how it would come and wash the city clean.

A new beginning, he'd said. A fresh start.

MJ didn't believe in new beginnings. At least not like that. People wanted to believe in spring because they thought that it was something that could change them, something that could take their boring lives and make them exciting and new. But it won't. You have to do something like that for yourself.

Which was why she was here, in this coffee shop, wondering if Peter had stood her up.

He'd said fifteen minutes; it had been half an hour.

Forty-five minutes.

One hour.

MJ looked up from her phone, the big clock on the wall behind the counter mocking her. This was not like Peter. He wouldn't just... not come. He was the one who had called her. He was the one who wanted this so badly.

A small coil of fear began to unwind in the back of her mind. What could have happened that would have kept him from this? In fifteen minutes, what could have changed?

Hey, you coming? she typed into her phone, hitting send before she could second guess herself. 

Trying not to check her phone every two seconds was like a new form of torture. He wasn't responding, and MJ felt the fear grow. Maybe she should call him... But what if he had just decided not to come? Calling him would make her seem like some needy ex who couldn't move on.

But he could be in danger, the little voice in the back of her head niggled. 

He's Spiderman, she thought desperately. He's probably fine.

He's not invincible, the little voice said. You know that.

She did. So before she could convince herself that this was a terrible idea, she picked up her phone and clicked on his contact. 

It rang, the noise echoing through the coffee shop. MJ picked up her phone and walked outside, rain hitting her face and dripping down her neck. 

The phone rang and rang and rang. MJ sighed, cradling it in the pocket between her shoulder and her ear, and stuffing her hands into her pockets. She shivered; the rain wasn't slowing at all. In fact, the storm only seemed to be worsening. 

Pick up, Peter, she thought, worrying her lip between her teeth. Please, pick up. 

The familiar sound of his voicemail filled her ears. "Hi, this is Peter, I'm not available to come to the phone right now, so leave a message at the beep!"