Dear Journal (Pt. 6)

MJ

I guess that's why I'm a superhero. You know, because I'm so lazy.

Oh, definitely. Such a disappointment to society.... Sometimes I wonder how you look at yourself in the morning.

Oh, with adoration. I mean, because I love myself SO MUCH

MJ giggled, furtively checking to make sure no one was reading over her shoulder. It had been a week since they'd started texting, words between them flowing smoothly after the first awkward text (simply saying, 'hey') that she'd sent him. 

She didn't know what she'd expected when he'd asked for her number. But she definitely hadn't thought it would be so easy. 

Talking to Spiderman was like talking to someone she'd known her whole life. Somehow she'd never imagined it could be like this - like it was meant to be. This was saying something, because MJ didn't believe in soulmates.

She'd told told him this, late one night when they were talking about fate and destiny and the way the world works.

She'd typed it out, quickly, fingers rushing:

I don't believe in soulmates.

There had been a pause, then:

Maybe I can change your mind.

She'd frozen, breath caught in her chest, that tiny flicker of hope leaping - but then the moment had ended. She hadn't known what to say, had texted back something funny. Something meaningless.

But she still thought about it sometimes.

Maybe I can change your mind.

She knew that she didn't really know him. That, for some reason, he had taken an interest in her but he had all the cards. For all she knew, "he" could be 28 and a girl.

And MJ was very, very straight.

But for once in her life, she wasn't being stiflingly careful. For once in her life, she was letting herself have something that she wanted. And she wanted him.

She had been a little bit blindsided by the revelation he'd dropped on her the other night. Tony Stark's son - it explained so much. There'd always been rumours, of course - placed by corporate rivals and trashy gossip magazines. She'd never really believed them, though. But she believed him.

She found it harder than ever to concentrate on school. Between texting Spiderman and the intermittent ache from her wound, schoolwork wasn't often at the forefront of her mind.

Pulling herself together was becoming more and more important, though, as the Science Fair came closer and closer. It wouldn't be fair to Peter not to give it her absolute best; the State-Wide Science Fair was very prestigious, judged by scientists in the top of their fields, and attended by many, many university reps and other scientists and important people.

Winning could mean full-ride scholarships and never having to worry about your career again. It could mean finding a mentor that would stick with you for life.

Embarrassing yourself, however, could mean that your career was over. And no, MJ didn't think she was being over dramatic. 

Which was how, one late evening, her and Peter were in the local library, bent over books and laptops, running on nothing but coffee and snacks from the small café. In the end, they had compromised; superheroes, like MJ had wanted, but something a little more... realistic. 

They were recreating a superheroes origin. Running through the science, the tech - basically seeing if they could do it. How much of what made a superhero was chance and freak accident, and how much of it was actual, hard science.