Heroes Shine Brighter

In the end, it wasn't a story about Spiderman.

It wasn't a story about heroes, or saving the world, or the strange combination of magic and science that inhabits the universe. 

In the end, it wasn't even about the Avengers. 

In the end, it was about a boy who loved so much and lost too much, a boy who was probably smarter than his own good, a boy who just wanted to help people.

In the end, it was about Peter Parker, the boy behind the mask.

That might not be the story you're here for. Because everyone knows Spiderman's story. Everyone wants to know it.

The heroes shine brighter than the hearts inside them. But the world isn't kind to those who will sacrifice everything, because usually the world will make them do it. 

Peter Parker was just a boy who saw a man in an iron suit and wanted to be more like him, a boy who just wanted to make his aunt's life easier.  A boy who wanted it all.

A boy who hid his fear behind a mask, his face behind a suit, his life behind everything else.

A boy so out of his depth, but so determined. 

He'd always wanted to go to space. Always dreamt of it, what it would feel like, what it would be like to be the first on another planet. The first person to stand on that distant ground.

He never imagined it like this, on a spaceship miles above Earth, going further away, with two broken men who didn't know what to do and the fate of the world hanging in the balance. 

With his aunt, so far away, not even knowing where he was.

Without saying goodbye to Ned or MJ. 

He hadn't imagined dying this way, either. How could he have? 

Falling to dust on a planet already caked in it, terrified and so, so, young, just a kid, really. 

It didn't hurt, not really, but it felt wrong, bad, like his spidey senses were dialled up to eleven, screaming danger, but the danger was inside him. 

He could feel it coming. That was the worst part. 

He lay on that distant ground, eyes on the sky, and thought about how he didn't recognize any of the stars. 

(Mr. Stark was there, too, but he felt so far away already and thinking about him hurt.) 

"Please," he said, whispered it to the stars, to anyone who might be listening. 

In the end, who saves the heroes? Who rescues the ones who do the rescuing? 

In the end, the boy in the mask died on a planet light-years away, fighting for the fate of humanity. 

In the end, Peter Parker died knowing one thing:

They had failed. 

So this is actually something I wrote like ages - like actual years - ago. Thought you guys might want to read it. 

It's short and sad, but I guess sometimes you just want to write short and sad. It's not perfectly polished, but it exists, so. If you guys are interested I might write a part two in the future - hopefully a happier one.