At First

At first, Peter hadn't liked MJ all that much. Looking back on it now, he thought it was probably that he hadn't understood her, really: her dry, dark humour, the way she held herself apart. He had been unpopular through no choice of his own, and he would have given anything to change that.

She seemed happy in her anonymity, happy with not being cool, or particularly well-liked, and Peter had resented that in a way. That she would have so easily found her place and loved it, when Peter was always wanting something else. Something more.

At first, Peter hadn't liked MJ all that much, but like anything else in his life, she crept up on him.  It wasn't that he didn't see her; it was more like she was there, every day, in his peripheral vision until she wasn't anymore. Until he found himself looking at her and not being able to look away.

The first time he'd kissed her had felt like coming home.

It was sunny. That he remembered because the sun had caught her lashes and the ends of her hair, making them glow. She'd told him it was her favourite weather, all robin's egg blue skies with perfect, puffy clouds. They were at the park, feeding bread to the ducks and enjoying the grassy lawns. It had been their first sort-of-date, but Peter had already been in love with her then.

Sometimes he thought he must have loved her his entire life. Like his heart had just been lying dormant, just waiting for him to meet her.

He liked to imagine that way back in time, they had been from the same star. That the same stardust rushed through both of their veins, glimmering in her eyes, just waiting for them to recognize each other.

He wasn't sure if he believed in soulmates, exactly. But whatever he and MJ had? He believed in that.

And he loved her, with all he had. It was like something in him woke up when he met her.

He remembered the first time she'd come over, and they'd spent hours talking when they were supposed to be studying, and she'd made him laugh. She loved making him laugh.

He loved when their eyes met across class, or in the cafeteria, and it was like an inside joke that no one but them understood. Her eyes would light up, and she would smile at him like nothing else mattered.

And when she was around, it didn't, not really. Because when she was around, the heaviness would lift, just a little. When she was around, he didn't have to hide the bruises or the scrapes or the mental damage that came from trying to save people all day long and not always being successful. With her, he could cry about the losses and celebrate the wins and understand that she would never think less of him for it, never think less of him for being weak sometimes.

Peter loved MJ with everything he had. He knew that he would love her forever, for as long as his heart beat and longer, because theirs was a love that never died.

They would love each other until the sun died, until the stars went out and the world went dark.

Eternity was a word that Peter knew well, and he whispered it in her hair and the creases of her skin.

Forever, he said. Forever.

Okay, so I know this isn't the update you were looking for. And I have absolutely zero excuses for long it's been, except for the fact that I've been trying to write Wishes pt. 6 and fight scenes are really hard.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you guys something and I also wanted to write something sweet and romantic so here you go!

Please remember to vote and comment if you liked it!

-Viwrit3r