10

Finding anything in this ruin, which was a home until yesterday, was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Charred furniture, fallen ceiling beams and holes where walls should have been. Debris and ashes as far as the eye could see.

But what did Alice expect? That everything would be fixed in five minutes? That everything would be there, ready to be presented, that it would all take care of itself. None of this was real. There was a saying, turn over every stone, and that's what she did. However, she did not find much, and what she did find were scattered items that had survived the fire.

"Ce," Jimmy reported, climbing over the destroyed closet in the hallway and tapping the phone against the palm of his hand as he reached Alice's former living room, "they've reached two investigators and they're on their way here now. Looks like your ten minutes are up."

"Fuck," he took it from Alice and dropped the tray on the floor, running his fingers through her hair as she was done with her nerves anyway and it wasn't getting any better, "Still, they're not here, which means I still have time, plus I haven't been upstairs yet and they're going to start on the ground floor."

"You never learned when it was over, did you?", Jimmy didn't really want an answer to this question and it wasn't because he had known John for ages.

"It will never be over," Alice replied, putting her hands behind Jimmy's ears and giving him a sad kiss, "It's not even over when someone is dead. Take Boy and I'll pick him up at the station later. Thanks."

Not ten minutes, and with any luck the New York traffic would make it a little more.