Chapter 13

Days passed as my suspension remained. During the day, I almost had nothing to do except either listen to MCR or read on wattpad. It was absolutely boring, but at least it was a better boring than the boredom in my classes.

I went to my mom's room to look around. She had already gone to work. I examined how junky it was. From shoes all over the floor to the messed up bed. My mom was horrible at organizing things. I walked to the other side of her bed to her bookshelf. I saw her old yearbooks and novels. I pulled out one of the novels, but accidentally pulled out two at a time. The other flew out and fell into a small corner in the the room. I bend down to pick it up and that's when I noticed something. It was a small, pink book with it's cover made out of soft looking fabric. I pulled it out. The cover had a pair of little tiny pink baby shoes glued to the front of it. I opened up the book to come across some old pictures of my family from long ago.

Most of them were of me as an infant/child while others were of my grandma and mom from their youth years. I smiled as I saw a picture of baby me playing in my birthday cake while in my high chair. The cake looked in the shape of a one signifying that it must've been my first birthday party. I flipped the pages with pictures of mom in her teen years. Some had her posing with friends from high school. They looked so happy with each other. My heart began to grow heavy. If only I didn't get so easily irritated about things, I would've probably learned to hang loose and enjoy things better. Mom told me about the many boyfriends she had at school and how much fun she, him, and their friends had together. I wished my life was as easy as her's when she was my age.

After looking at pictures, I went to the kitchen. I fixed myself a bowl of ramen noodles and went to my room to eat. I didn't eat them much due to forgetting that we even had some. My favorite flavor was shrimp and I savored the taste as I ate.

----------

Around past 3:00, I got a call from Luis. I picked up immediately.

"Hey, babe."

"Hey. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just chilling. You?"

"Not too much. I can't go to practice again today."

"Why not? What is it now?"

"Jared, me, and someone else got distracted with something that made us skip class. We were assigned detention again."

"Again? After it's been a few days since your last one? What were y'all so into anyway that made y'all miss out on class?"

"A game that was broadcasted had been uploaded to the web. Us being big hockey fans, we watched the game on his phone somewhere in the empty halls. The game was like 2 hours long though and we were still watching when the bell rang saying that our class was over and we were like 'ah, shit.' Instead of telling our teacher where we were, we went to our next period. By then she called us to her room and gave it to us."

"There's always time AFTER school for you to enjoy the game, though you know", I said with a dull voice.

"I know, but after he pulled it up, we began to get really caught up in watching it, so we just did from there."

"I- I just- you are something else, Mendoza."

"Tell me something I don't know."

I sniggered, "okay, uh...you don't know that the moon is over 200,000 miles from earth."

"I didn't say ACTUALLY tell me something I don't know. I'm not no fucking Albert Einstein, Kallz."

"Anybody can google that, Mendoza."