Chapter 18

As Luis had said, ISS was nowhere near anything but boring. As I expected, I struggled terribly on my math assignments. They put our phones in a little bin right beside the teacher's desk, and when it was lunch time, we all got our lunch separately than the rest of the school. The teacher watching over us was pretty strict. Whenever he would call out two other kids who were goofing about, his voice went mildly deep and it made me very uncomfortable. While I did get other classwork finished, throughout the whole second period, I only was able to complete 3 problems in math so far. And by the time ISS was over, I still had not completed it.

Thankfully though, after school, Luis was able to be my Superman with my incomplete math sheets.

"Ugh, that class was brutal even though we did nothing", I said tiredly, "knowing how big my ass was, I had to twitch around in my seat because my thighs were beginning to lose feeling."

He just laughed, "I told you. I don't blame you, though. But since OSS requires you to be out of school, I reckon ISS is worse than it?"

"Yeah. Really, OSS is just a little mini vacation for you", I informed him, "Yeah, I was bored at home most of the time, but all in all, it was kind of relaxing. Plus, I got to take more naps."

"I don't see what it is about you and naps. Like jeez, don't become lazy, Kallz. Your bed can't be your best friend ALL the time."

"Yes, we can, and someday I'ma get some special friendship bracelets for me and it called handcuffs so that we can always be together on long weekends or on a break off of school."

"But what about me?", he asked making a sad face, "if you do that, we won't get to hang out like usual like we do on breaks."

"We will, but I just mean that throughout some days, me and my bed would be having some sleep and dream bonding time."

"So I'm just the third wheel, then?"

"Yep. Speaking of which, I want to shut my eyes for a second right now. ISS done wore my ass out."

"But all you did was just sit there feeling numb and getting stuck on math", he chuckled.

"Exactly", I said as I closed my lids.

----------

The next day, I was back in the near empty classroom. I eyed the teacher watching us who was sitting at his computer looking at his screen.

He was one of the buff coaches who could've been easily mistaken for a football coach. I didn't want to ask him for help because I was afraid he would refuse, but I then glance back down at my paper. I was tired of getting stuck on the same problem over and over again and realized that I had no choice.

Taking a deep breath, I raise my hand. He saw me and looked at me.

"Yes?"

"Um....I'm stuck on a math problem. Can you help me?"

He gave a neutral expression before slowly getting up out of his chair and going over to my desk. He leaned beside me and looked at my sheet. I pointed out the problems I was struggling on and he just stared.

Then, to my surprise, he then began to help me through the questions like as if this was a normal class. He didn't seem strict or stern to me at all. I felt relief wash over me as I finished problem by problem once he guided me through them.

"Thank you", I said once we were done.

"No problem", he grinned before walking back to his desk. I was still a little stunned. I never would've thought he would be so nice about this, but I probably just got nervous because he LOOKED scary. I finished whatever alternate work I needed to finish before taking a book out of my backpack to read since we hade 30 or so minutes until the day was done.