Chapter 14

I didn't wake up until like 11:00 or so at least. My head was now throbbing in pain and my mouth dry. I groaned as I sat up, wiping a trail of saliva from the corner of my mouth. I check my phone to see if any notifications popped up. I had a few texts from Luis. They were mostly questions of concern from my previous texts and one question asked if I had been drinking again. I scrolled up to my messages from the previous night and tried to remember why and when I sent those to him, but I couldn't seem to. I just responded back saying that I had and that I don't remember one fucking thing. He then asked when will I ever learn to get away from that shit and I said I don't know.

I took some pain medicine for my headache and ate something to soak up the remaining alcohol in me. I didn't get sick though. If I ever drunk, the main thing I didn't do was vomit for some reason. Maybe my stomach wasn't that weak to alcohol like for most other drinkers.

My mom must've heard me woke up because she came into my room and poked her head in.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Why was you making so much noise last night?"

She must've heard me stagger around the house. I quickly came up with an excuse.

"Uh....I fell. Grandma's dialysis machine chord got tangled on my ankles and made me trip."

"Oh god. That chord's gonna be the death of us", my mom muttered under her breath, "I just now damn near tripped the other night after I got home from work."

I let out a small laugh, "we should get a hook for her to wrap it on."

She agreed, "Yeah, well how long until you go back to school?"

"This week is my first one and it's finishing up. So, after next week, then I go back. So one more week."

"Oh. Well, lemme go back to sleep. I have to leave in a little while."

She left closing my door. I was just glad my horrible excuse convinced her well enough.

----------

I then chilled in my room for a while until afternoon came. I rubbed my hand across my cheek. My jaw had healed up pretty good ever since last week. My nose had, too and I could breathe more better. Luis arrived and came into my room. He pecked my lips and sat on my bed.

"How was detention?"

"Boring like usual", he sighed, "how was getting wasted last night?"

I covered my face with my hands so he wouldn't see me laughing, "honestly, I can't answer that question because I don't even remember what I did."

"That explains those weird ass text messages from last night", he said with a small smile.

"Just be glad I chose not to call. Then, I would be yelling in the phone acting as if I was at a loud party or something. But instead of hearing any music or people having a good time, you would only hear my family scolding me for being loud."

"That happened once, didn't it?"

"Yes, and I had to lie saying that I had a bad dream."

We both laughed at the memory, but Luis continued to chortle.

"Goldberg got Julie sick today. He gave her a lot of sweets at lunch and around 3rd period, she got sick and had to leave early."

"She's not used to sweets that heavily", I said with a held in laugh, "Goldberg should've known that already."

"He once did that to her freshman year, too", replied Luis, "speaking of which, how are you not sick after all that booze?"

"I guess my stomach never chooses to", I said shrugging, "and that's a good thing. I hate throwing up."

"Everyone does", said Luis, "Mom once made me try something that I hated and I threw it back out."

"Celery is my weakness", I commented, "that night at Wild Wings I will never forget."

"What I'll never forget is how you looked disgusted with that one taco I ate at that date once. Your face was so funny." He started to laugh again.

I shuddered at the moment, "Yeah, because of that funky ass sauce you poured on there. I was damn near about to lose my shit."

"I'ma make you taste it one day. It's really not that bad."

"Do that, and I'ma make you taste these hands on yo ass if you do. Don't make me try that shit."

Luis made a goofy sad face, "why u be so meanie?"

"I ain't no meanie. I'm just making sure you don't poison me with any of that nasty shit you be eating sometimes."

"Oh, but what if I DO wanna poison you?", and he looked down at me with a fake evil villain look while widening his eyes spreading his smile.

I glimpsed at him and laughed as I hit him with a pillow, "shut up, Mendoza."

I hit him again but this time, he caught the pillow and threw it to the side.

"Oh, no. We're not doing THAT again", I laughed.

"I don't want to", he said, "plus, your grandma is sleeping and I don't want to wake her up."

"She won't. The medicine knocks her out."

"How is she doing by the way?"

"She's okay. She came to my room yesterday and we talked."

"Do one thing for me though", he said after a moment, "No more breakouts. Okay? No one's worth fighting."

I exhaled and stared off across the room, hoping to keep my promise this time.

"Okay."