Diplomatic Immunity pt. 2

On the way up to the Thalmor Embassy, I tried to work on my nerves. My palms were sweating and the silk material of the dress I was wearing did little to absorb any of it. The fact that I didn't have my armour either made me feel unprotected and exposed. If I got myself into a situation where I'd need to find then I'm going to be at a serious disadvantage. Although I did manage to hold my own against Alduin in Helgen, and when we went up against some Imperials.

"It's a cold day ma'am," the carriage driver says. "You don't have a cloak to keep you warm?"

"I'm fine," I assure him. I'm not. I'm freezing.

When we finally pull up outside the gates of the Embassy, I jump down from the carriage and stretch my legs in relief. I gaze up at the imposing building of the Embassy and try not to shudder, thinking about what secrets and interrogations they're hiding in there. There's another man arriving at the same time as me, also dressed in finery.

"Haven't seen you around here before," he squints at me. "Name's Razelan,"

"Skylar," I reply. Delphine told me to use my real first name, because that's what would be on the invitation. I suppose it's just as well I don't really have a surname. Skylar of Raven Rock could work. Or Skylar Dovahkiin...it's a work in progress. "What brings you to this party?" I ask as we walk up to the gates.

Razelan chuckles. "You must be new around here. Bad manners to ask such a direct question, at one of Elenwen's little soirees. But I have nothing to hide, I'm in from the south, on business. If you want to do business in Tamriel these days, well, you'd better get used to cozying up to the Thalmor. Like it or not," he adds darkly. "Yourself?"

"I'm here on my father's behalf. He couldn't attend because of troubles at the court," I lie.

Razelan's eyebrows shoot up. "A lady from the courts of High Rock? Well don't tell me which one, your system confuses me,"

I try not to outwardly show my relief.

"Halt! We need to see your invitations," the guards at the gates to the Embassy stop us.

Razelan waves his invitation in their faces. "Here's my invitation. I don't have a poisoned dagger strapped to my thigh, et cetera, et cetera,"

The Thalmor soldier scowls at him. "I'm just doing my duty, sir. Everything's in order. Welcome back, sir,"

Razelan huffs impatiently. "Yes, yes. Now to find myself a drink,"

"You too, miss," the soldier looks at me with their piercing green eyes.

"I, ah, here," I curse myself for fumbling and looking so awkward as I present my invitation. I straighten my back and do my best to look as elite and haughty as possible.

"Welcome to the Thalmor Embassy," the soldier replies and I step forward and up the steps, into the belly of the beast.

***

As soon as I step into the foyer of the Embassy, I am cornered by the Grand High Bitch herself, Elenwen. She's tall and willowy, with golden curly hair, flaming green eyes and a look that makes me feel like she already knows all of my secrets.

"Welcome. I don't believe...," she stares at me intently, as if she recognises me from somewhere. She clears her throat. "I am Elenwen, the Thalmor Ambassador to Skyrim. And you are...?"

"My name is Skylar," I keep my shoulders squared and my head high. "Pleased to meet you,"

Maybe she recognises me from Helgen. She was there, after all, speaking to General Tullius. But we had been quite far apart and I'm small, so I was probably concealed by Ralof or Lokir sitting in front of me. Maybe I just look like someone she knows. I've been told I have one of those faces before.