A Cornered Rat

The three of us split up almost immediately as soon as we have the chance. Etienne says something about Riften, which I have no desire to visit just yet, and Malborn is wordless and stalks off as soon as there's a fork in the road. I sigh. I guess I had it coming, putting him in danger like that. I wonder what his plan is now. But at least he's alive!

The evening is beginning to fall and there's no inn or village in sight. I feel uneasy about camping by the side of the road when I'm still so close to the Thalmor Embassy, so I keep going until I'm certain I'm at least out of Haafingar. I pull open my map, the enchanted one Scouts gave me. I'm not too far away from Morthal, but I'm not going to trek through the swamplands during the night. I've heard plenty about them. So I find a small and secluded clearing near the road. I light a fire and cook some rabbit that I had hunted. I decide I'll make for Morthal in the morning and hitch a ride from there to Riverwood.

When I wake up, it's a miserable day and it puts me in an equally miserable mood. The dress I have on is useless against the elements and the Thalmor justiciar robes are torn. When I finally trudge my damp self to Morthal and pay a carriage driver to take me to Riverwood, the rain has stopped but the wind blows in my face. I can feel my lips and cheeks chapping and getting rough. I used to have an ointment that I would use on my hands and face to keep them smooth but I forgot to bring it with me. I suppose it's silly to worry about things like rough hands when I've got the end of the world on my shoulders.

I flip open the Thalmor Dossiers. I recovered from the Embassy. May as well do something on this miserable trip. I decide to open Delphine's first, seeing as it could give me some insight on who she is and what exactly I'm dealing with. I still don't trust her, despite what she says. There's something about her that doesn't sit well with me. Not to mention I'm still annoyed at her acting like she could take me in combat and doubting that I was the the Dragonborn.

Status: Active (Capture or Kill), High Priority, Emissary Level Approval

Description: Female, Breton, mid 50s

Background: Delphine was a high-priority target during the First War, for both operational and political reasons. She was directly involved in several of the most damaging operations carried out by the Blades within the Dominion. She had been identified and slated for the initial purge, but by bad luck was recalled to Cyrodiil just before the outbreak of hostilities. During the war, she evaded three attempts on her life, in one case killing an entire assassination team. Since then, we have only indirect evidence of her movements, as she proven extremely alert to our surveillance. She should be considered very dangerous and no move against her should be made without overwhelming force and the most careful preparation.

Operational Notes: She is believed to still be working actively against us within Skyrim, although we have no location on her. Assumed to be working alone, as no other Blades are known to be active in Skyrim, and she has in the past avoided contact with other fugitive Blades for her own security (one of the reasons she has so far evaded elimination). Her continued existence is an affront to all of us. Any information on her whereabouts or activities should be immediately forwarded to the Third Emissary.

Maybe she's more dangerous and more of a threat than I'm giving her credit for. Next, I flip open Esbern's. I get the feeling Delphine is going to send me after him, so maybe I should prepare myself.

Status: Fugitive (Capture Only), Highest Priority, Emissary Level Approval

Description: Male, Nord, late 70s

Background: Esbern was one of the Blades loremasters prior to the First War Against the Empire. He was not a field agent, but is believed to have been behind some of the most damaging operations carried out by the Blades during the pre-war years, including the Falinesti Incident and the breach of the Blue River Prison. His file had remained dormant for many years, an inexcusable error on the part of my predecessor (who has been called to Alinor for punishment and reeducation), in the erroneous belief that he was unlikely to pose a threat due to his advanced age and lack of field experience. A salutary reminder to all operational levels that no Blades agent should be considered low priority for any reason. All are to be found and justice exacted upon them.