00:16

𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐇 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐖 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐀 𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄

𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐇 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐖 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐀 𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄. She should be out looking for Perceval's attacker, not having a useless dinner with Edwin. He hasn't even revealed any information about the previous night when he found Perceval.

Edwin sits across from her, his hands articulating every self-centered story he tells her. Elizabeth met Edwin shortly after noon and now the sun has tucked itself away beneath the horizon and in that time Edwin has not ceased his relentless storytelling.

Elizabeth sighs as she grabs his mug and tips it back, the sour tasting ale sliding down her throat. She makes a disgusted face as she calls for a refill. Edwin continues talking, oblivious to Elizabeth's obvious boredom. "Edwin," she snaps as she slams the mug down, her eyes closing briefly. "I will cut your tongue out if you keep talking."

When she opens her eyes she sees him looking at her with a mildly confused expression. "My apologies, Liz, I was unaware you had no interest."

Elizabeth's left eye twitches but instead of snapping at him again she smiles politely and lets go of the mug. "Of course." They fall silent. "And don't call me Liz. My name is Elizabeth and you will call me such."

Edwin nods hesitantly. "I...know we left off on bad terms, Elizabeth," he starts off, resituating to lean forward slightly. "It was never my intention to insult you, my lady." He presses his hand over his heart and gives her a warm smile. If Elizabeth were as young and naive as she once was she would find his smile charming.

She gives him a polite nod and chooses to remain silent, the tip of her tongue resting between her teeth. "I regret not leaving a note or waking you before I left," he continues as he leans back, "it's just...you looked peaceful and happy and I had to leave urgently."

Elizabeth quirks a brow at the man. "Is that so?"

Edwin nods. "Tis true, my lady." He flashes her another smile. "I got word that my mother had fallen ill yet again. I would never have left if she was alright."

Elizabeth furrows her brows. "Your mother is ill?"

Edwin hesitates briefly, his eyes falling to the table. "She was ill. She passed shortly after our...night together. I had to remain by her side, Elizabeth." His blue eyes stare into hers with such intensity she almost finds herself believing him. "I sent a messenger for you but he said you had left. I-I couldn't go after you, not with my mother in the hands of death."

Elizabeth straightens in her seat, her eyes falling to the ground. "Is this true?" She looks back at him, her head held high. If it is...she's hated a man for choosing to stay at his mothers death bed rather than go to the girl he had been courting.

Elizabeth didn't leave her mother's side until she passed. She wouldn't have chosen anyone over her mother.

Edwin nods sincerely. "I promise you, Elizabeth," he says with a soft tone, his hand covering hers on the table. Elizabeth looks down at their hands before making eye contact with him again. "It's true."