00:27 [M]

⚠️ This chapter contains mature scenes

𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐂𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐋 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒 𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐇 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐋𝐘, 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐑. He never expected England to go to war with France and even he admits the proceedings of the French royal family are...strange. Perceval doesn't remember much about Elizabeth's older brother, only that he was a childish man. He can believe the Dauphin would send a mocking gift to King Henry, but King Charles would not have sent an assassin that would have failed so easily.

Something is going on, that much is clear. Elizabeth's eyes are locked on the stone. "My lady?" he speaks up, his tone soft so as not to disturb Tristan. His health has skyrocketed in the day since England declared war on their country. His fever has subsided and his eyes have even opened once, though he still has not awoken for more than a few seconds or minutes.

Elizabeth looks up, her red rimmed eyes meeting Perceval's. He stands and hobbles over to her, his leg still bound by the crude cast wrapped around it. "I know this is hard," he whispers as he nears her. "I know you love him." She snaps her head up, as if shocked by his words. "You do, my dear. Maybe it would be best to tell him, considering we cannot stay here any longer."

Elizabeth inhales sharply. "I am not leaving."

Perceval shakes his head. He knows she's trying her best to appear unbothered by the situation, but it's a difficult decision that will tear her apart, no matter what anyone does to help. "Elizabeth, we cannot stay here. Once Tristan is well enough to be transported we have to go."

Elizabeth shakes her head. "No," she forces out, her voice thick. "I cannot leave him, Perceval." She looks up, a fresh wave of tears threatening to spill over her cheeks.

"I know," he whispers, his hand sliding around the back of her head as he pulls her into a hug of sorts. She presses her forehead against his chest, her body shaking with the effort not to cry. "I would be saying the same if I were wearing your shoes." He looks over, his eyes falling on Tristan's sleeping form, a sad smile coming to his face. "It is time to say your goodbyes."

He pulls away, smiling softly at her as she looks up at him. She nods weakly, her eyes falling shut as she breathes shakily. Perceval straightens his back. She looks up at him, her eyes softening considerably. "How are you?" she whispers, her hands gently encasing both of his.

He hesitates, the images of both attacks flashing through his mind. He closes his eyes, banishing the events from mind. "I'm...I'm doing as well as one could," he responds quietly.

Elizabeth stands and wraps her arms around him. "I'm so sorry all of this has happened to you, Perceval." She holds him tight, her voice whispering directly into his ear. "I know it's not exactly my job to protect you but I feel that I have failed in doing so. You are the last person to deserve such horrid treatment."