00:19

"𝐄𝐃𝐖𝐈𝐍?"

"𝐄𝐃𝐖𝐈𝐍?"

Elizabeth gazes at the blonde in front of her in slight confusion. She wasn't expecting any guests today. He smiles sheepishly and waves before clasping his hands behind his back. "Good evening," he says cheerily.

Elizabeth continues to look at him with confusion. "What are you doing here?"

Edwin clears his throat. "I thought you and I could have a sit down." When Elizabeth raises a brow he quickly adds, "to discuss the events which transpired the evening of your dear friend's attack."

Elizabeth's chin raises slightly. She doesn't trust Edwin's story, not entirely. In fact she was so suspicious she hired a messenger to ride to York, where Edwin was born and where his parents have resided their entire lives. It was there she met him all those years ago.

She has yet to receive work back from her messenger. In the mean time she ought to play pretend with him, at least until she knows the truth. "Very well," she says politely as she steps aside. "Come in."

Edwin grins, his eyes holding excitement too intense for the task at hand. Elizabeth wonders if he may be taking a little too much pleasure in the investigation. "You were with Perceval that night," Elizabeth deadpans as they approach the sitting area, her hand squeezing the wooden chair in front of her.

Edwin casts her a cautionary glance as he takes a seat in the other chair. He clears his throat again. "Yes...I was," he replies slowly. "I know what you must be thinking but, Elizabeth, I would never."

Elizabeth narrows her eyes as she steps around the chair and sits herself in it. "Then explain yourself." Edwin looks nervous now. "I have word from Perceval himself, which has been corroborated by many." Edwin's brow furrows as he stares at her. "I went to the tavern and asked around the minute I returned from the castle and I'm curious as to why you thought this information was not relevant to the subject of our dinner."

Edwin nods once. Word spread quickly that Henry had brought a woman along with him to visit his father before his death. She's not surprised Edwin knows already. "I spoke to him for only a few minutes, my lady. I promise."

He gives her an intense look as he presses his hand to his heart. "And what was the matter of discussion?" She keeps her expression neutral as she gazes at the man across from her. She's torn, now, about her feelings regarding him.

If what he said is true, if, then Elizabeth has no real reason to hate him. Not to mention he did bring Perceval back to her. He could have very easily left him to die at the side of the road but he didn't. Elizabeth knows this was mostly likely a scheme to gain her trust once again and she has to admit, she is incredibly grateful for what he did.

"You," he mutters sheepishly, his cheeks turning pink as he looks away. Elizabeth raises a brow at him, surprised by his reaction. It's difficult to fake one such as that. He looks back up to her, his eyes wide and resembling those of an innocent animal, such as a baby deer. "I know I have no place to say this...I just can't get you out of my mind, Elizabeth."