12. A Trip Down Memory Lane

HARRY STYLES is staying at your fucking HOUSE and you didn't think it important to mention!?  Sean's text reads.

Shit. I'm starting to regret saying anything to Sean about the whole situation. I wasn't going to, but after what happened last night I need someone to talk to. Plus, Sean's been my best friend since Senior Infants, the Irish equivalent of Kindergarten. We tell each other everything.

A: I'm mentioning it now, that counts for something right? 

S: Well, tell me more! What happened after? Did he kiss you? 

A: No! We just... idk we just went to bed. 

S: Seriously Ay sometimes you make me wonder if you're the gay one 

A: Heeyyy. That's like... reverse homophobia. I don't think you're allowed to do that 

S: Whatever. So... what are you going to do about it? 

A: What do you mean? I'm not going to do anything! 

S: Ay, I love you, but you're useless. 

A: What? I'm supposed to dote on him like one of his obsessive fangirls until he falls madly in love with me? Fat chance. 

S: You don't have to be obsessive just..... promise me you wont hide from him? 

A: I don't hide! 

S: Love, all you do is hide. 

"Aghh" I toss my phone onto the bed.  

What the hell does that mean, "All you do is hide"? I'm the sister of a superstar. I couldn't hide if I wanted to.

My phone vibrates on my bed. 

S: I just want you to come out of your shell a little. Live again. Ever since the incident you've been living life like a sleepwalker. I'd hate to see you throw away a chance of something truly incredible.  

 I  reread his message twice before responding.

A: You really think I'm hiding?  

A part of me knows he's right. Ever since the hospitalization that almost killed me, I've been afraid to be a part of the world. I give everyone around me shit for treating me like I'm fragile when I do it the worst to myself. 

S: I think it's time to stop. 

.......................................................................

For the next hour, I immerse myself in podcast editing, and when I finally take my headphones off, my ears are greeted with the sound of a guitar softly being strummed. It takes me a second to realize it's not Niall in his studio, it's Harry playing a melody I've never heard before. 

I walk softly down the hall, dragging my IV pole as quietly as I can. I stop just before the open door to his room, praying he doesn't notice me. 

From my view I can see that he's on his bed, laying on his back,  eyes closed as he strums. His hands brush softly over the strings, creating a melancholic chord progression. His voice softly joins the melody.

"Do you think we can make it? 

Two hearts in a hopeful state 

Broken by the time between

Before it all becomes too late."