46. Gotta Jet

Mum and Harry spend the next day frantically preparing for my discharge, making sure I will have everything I need (and more) for my stay at Harry's place. 

"Did you grab her Afflovest?" my mum asks Harry, who's already got his hands full of medical supplies. 

"Yeah, um... it's in the box by the door." He says. "I think." 

"Could you please check for me, love?" My mum responds. "Oh! Did you already get the spare BiPap machine?"

"Yes ma'am" Harry says dutifully. I give him an apologetic smile. He shakes his head, smiling as well. 

If he's anything like me, he could be asked to run laps around the hospital naked and he wouldn't care. Actually, he'd probably enjoy that. I shake the image from my mind. 

 I know he's ecstatic to have me coming 'home' with him. My mum's over-preparedness is a small price to pay. 

"Okay, I'm going to take this load down to the car." He says. "Anything else?" 

He's got two duffel bags slung over one arm, a backpack on his back, and a stack of boxes in his hands. I don't know how he thinks he can manage anything else. 

"No pet, just come back for another go-round yes?" My mum replies. 

Harry nods, struggling his way out the door. I hear his footsteps disappear down the hall, and then a loud 'thud' sounding. 

"Shit!" I hear him say. "Sorry! I'm fine!"  

I laugh. He may be ridiculous, but he's mine. That's all I care about. 

"Love, are you sure you're going to be alright just the two of ye?" My mum asks, coming to sit next to me on my bed. Her eyes are worn, and she looks older than I've ever seen her-but happy. Happier that I've seen in a very long time. 

"We'll be fine." I smile reassuringly.

"And you promise to come to the hospital if anything feels slightly off? Even the teeniest hint of temperature?" 

"Yes, mum. We'll be a ten minute drive away, even in the worst traffic. I'll do all my treatments, eat enough, take all my meds, listen to Dr. Hunter's orders, and call you every day." I say dutifully, trying to convince her that everything really will be okay. 

She's spent the last half-year by my side, terrified of losing me. I know it will be a hard adjustment to be apart. 

"And you'll take things easy? No running off about Dublin?"  

"Yes, mum. I plan on watching FRIENDS and listening to Harry sing. Maybe a walk down the street every now and again." 

She smiles, relieved. 

"I'll only go clubbing once a week." I chide. 

"Aideen you will do no such thing!" She says sternly, before noticing the sarcasm in my voice. 

"Oh, Ayd. You little nuisance." 

I laugh. 

She sighs softly. 

"I'm going to miss you, love." She says softly, her eyes serious again. 

"I'll see you in a few days. It's not like I'm going to be far." I reply. 

"Yes, you're right." She says. She folds her hands in her lap. 

"I-" She hesitates, finding her words, "This drug is a miracle. This new improvement..." She takes a breath. "It's unbelievable. It's all happened so fast. But I want to say, Ayd... This is your second chance at life." Her eyes meet mine.